• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    My Lincoln MIG welder is acting up. Drive wheels are spinning but it's not feeding wire consistently. I'm thinking the liner needs replaced (original liner with four large spools and multiple ten pound spools through it) but, since I've never had to replace it, I want to hear from experienced welders if that would be where to start.

Thanks.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    yes replace the liner and inner and outer tips. that should fix it

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    If you can, release all tension from your drive rollers and pull the wire by hand through your gun and see how much resistance there is. See if you can feel any grit or dragging in the gun as you pull. You can also take your gun off and pull a cut section of wire through it and see how it feels. If it feels nasty or pulls hard, it's time for a new liner. I'm assuming you've tried a new tip and played with the drive tension already.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Oh yeah, brand new spool. Weird thing is the problem didn't start until after I changed the spool. I tried blowing out the liner and a lot of dust came out...

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Oh yeah, brand new spool. Weird thing is the problem didn't start until after I changed the spool. I tried blowing out the liner and a lot of dust came out...

Ya, change the liner. You'd be amazed at how well a wire will feed and as soon as you change wire, you can't even push it through the liner. The tip of the wire will push the junk into a ball and it won't budge.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I just cut the wire and pulled again paying attention to resistance. First two feet past the drive wheel is gummed up. Wonder how much it will cost...

Cwood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    NE Ohio
    With it being a Lincoln MIG you can replace it with a Tweco liner and gun and its usually cheaper then buying a Lincoln

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    You're best bet is to go to an Indiana Oxygen or the like. Not sure what weld supply houses Kokomo has. Doubt Rural King or Sears would have them. We use 15 and 25' .045 liners at work but I have no idea what they cost.

Yukon227

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 15, 2011
    Henry County
    In my miller I changed the liner a year or so ago and I dont think it was more than 20$ or so...I bought the liner at TSC....My brother had put a new liner in the welder a few months before and it was giving him fits so he sold it to me pretty cheap....I had the same troubles he had with it, until I realized he'd cut the liner about 2 inches short of the nozzle. I put a new liner in and not even a hiccup since.

Top Bottom