• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I did some research on the topic and I have found some answers to your questions.
    Did you dig deep enough to get what I'm saying though?

Lets start at the beginning. At the aquifer map you linked to there are links to more detailed aquifer information on almost all counties in IN. I'll take a random sampling of some counties and post relevant information. I am not cherry picking counties, I will pick a county, and post the data, even if it goes against the point I'm trying to prove.

Adams county: 79% of wells are bedrock (I would wager that most, if not all of those that aren't bedrock based are not used for potable water for human consumption)
    There are 2 main aquifers in Adams County.
    #1: Typical well depth is 90-160 feet, static water levels are commonly 20-50 feet.
    #2: Typical well depth 115 to 385 feet, static water levels are 35-40 feet.

Lawrence County: there are 4 main aquifers
    #1: Typical well depth is 60-350 feet, but deeper wells may be required to obtain adequate water supply, static water levels typically range from 10 to 100 feet (once again, probably towards the deeper end for adequate supply)
    #2: Most wells are 140-260 feet, static levels are commonly 20-275 feet
    #3: Most wells are 95-175 feet deep, static levels are commonly between 20 and 80 feet.
    #4: most wells are 60-140 feet, static water levels are commonly 10-60 feet. (possibly viable, but I wouldn't risk the reliability)

White: 4 main aquifers
    #1: No well/water depth data available other than it's listed as shallow and has a moderate risk of water contamination
    #2:Most wells are 55-70 feet, static levels range from 10 to 30 feet (this is the first truly viable option for a pitcher pump as your static water level is sure to be within pumping range, although it may take some priming)
    #3: wells 50-100 feet, static water level 5-15 feet (another prime example for pitcher pump)
    #4: 70-165 depths, static water levels 7-40 feet (possibly viable)

All that data can be found online. But I think it proves my point very clearly. Out of 3 counties I examined, only 1 of them is actually viable for using a pitcher pump, and out of that 1 of the 4 aquifers has a moderate risk of contamination because it is so shallow.

So looking back on that, very few wells in IN are shallow enough (static water levels) to be able to support a pitcher pump. And of those that are, some are likely contaminated because of the shallow water table. The cleanest water is going to come from the deep wells, and you just can't use a pitcher pump for those wells.

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    Did you dig deep enough to get what I'm saying though?

Lets start at the beginning. At the aquifer map you linked to there are links to more detailed aquifer information on almost all counties in IN. I'll take a random sampling of some counties and post relevant information. I am not cherry picking counties, I will pick a county, and post the data, even if it goes against the point I'm trying to prove.

Adams county: 79% of wells are bedrock (I would wager that most, if not all of those that aren't bedrock based are not used for potable water for human consumption)
    There are 2 main aquifers in Adams County.
    #1: Typical well depth is 90-160 feet, static water levels are commonly 20-50 feet.
    #2: Typical well depth 115 to 385 feet, static water levels are 35-40 feet.

Lawrence County: there are 4 main aquifers
    #1: Typical well depth is 60-350 feet, but deeper wells may be required to obtain adequate water supply, static water levels typically range from 10 to 100 feet (once again, probably towards the deeper end for adequate supply)
    #2: Most wells are 140-260 feet, static levels are commonly 20-275 feet
    #3: Most wells are 95-175 feet deep, static levels are commonly between 20 and 80 feet.
    #4: most wells are 60-140 feet, static water levels are commonly 10-60 feet. (possibly viable, but I wouldn't risk the reliability)

White: 4 main aquifers
    #1: No well/water depth data available other than it's listed as shallow and has a moderate risk of water contamination
    #2:Most wells are 55-70 feet, static levels range from 10 to 30 feet (this is the first truly viable option for a pitcher pump as your static water level is sure to be within pumping range, although it may take some priming)
    #3: wells 50-100 feet, static water level 5-15 feet (another prime example for pitcher pump)
    #4: 70-165 depths, static water levels 7-40 feet (possibly viable)

All that data can be found online. But I think it proves my point very clearly. Out of 3 counties I examined, only 1 of them is actually viable for using a pitcher pump, and out of that 1 of the 4 aquifers has a moderate risk of contamination because it is so shallow.

So looking back on that, very few wells in IN are shallow enough (static water levels) to be able to support a pitcher pump. And of those that are, some are likely contaminated because of the shallow water table. The cleanest water is going to come from the deep wells, and you just can't use a pitcher pump for those wells.

This thread has turned into the biggest turkey jerk of all time. I am nominating it for Turkey of the Year.

I guess you can come to any conclusion you want, but there is only one county that you listed that are not viable for a pitcher pump. A pitcher pump can pump up to a realistic 25' of depth before physics takes over and you can't pull it up any farther with vacuum. Adams County is the only one you listed that wouldn't work in most places.

You make it sound like there weren't any wells in Indiana before the invention of the submersible well pump. You make it sound like if you didn't live by the river, you were out of luck. There were wells all over Indiana that were using pitcher pumps for a couple hundred years. How do you explain that?

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    This thread has turned into the biggest turkey jerk of all time. I am nominating it for Turkey of the Year.

I guess you can come to any conclusion you want, but there is only one county that you listed that are not viable for a pitcher pump. A pitcher pump can pump up to a realistic 25' of depth before physics takes over and you can't pull it up any farther with vacuum. Adams County is the only one you listed that wouldn't work in most places.

You make it sound like there weren't any wells in Indiana before the invention of the submersible well pump. You make it sound like if you didn't live by the river, you were out of luck. There were wells all over Indiana that were using pitcher pumps for a couple hundred years. How do you explain that?
    Turkey jerk? I think you're the one that's making it into that.

#1 point to make regarding static water levels, you're obviously only seeing the lower numbers in static water levels. Those levels vary greatly, both in geographic location, and by time of the year etc. So to look at a range of 20-50 feet and say that it will work is completely ignorant on your part. If, and that is a BIG IF, you are in an area of the county that has the water level shallow enough, then you MIGHT have water come out of your pump. What happens when the water level drops with the changing season and you can't get it out? Do you really want to rely merely on the possibility of being able to get water out or do you want to know that you can get water out?

I don't think you really comprehend this at all here otherwise I think you would see that just because there is a number that says it's possible, doesn't mean it's a sure thing. I wouldn't rely on it, that's for sure.

#2 Yes, people used to have shallow wells years ago, but those people also didn't know about all of the bacteria, diseases etc that came from those waters, and there weren't many, if any, ag chemicals in use during those times. Now that ag chemicals, and other chemicals are very prevalent, you have to go deeper to get cleaner water.

Look, we can argue about this all day long but I'd rather not. I made a statement that very few people are going to be able to get clean water from a well that is shallow enough to use a pitcher pump. I never said it was completely impossible, just that it's not practical advice because most people won't be able to take advantage of it. I provided factual evidence, and you just don't grasp the point I was trying to make.

ETA, upon reading your reply again, I think you're looking at this on a scale of the whole thing. You're looking from the side of "Will it work for somebody?" And I'm looking at it from the side of "Will it work for most people?"

Will somebody in White County be able to use a pitcher pump? Yes ... Will most people? Maybe... but that could be debatable looking at the data
    Will somebody in Adams County be able to use a pitcher pump? Yes ... Will most people? Absolutely not...
    Will somebody in Lawrence County be able to use a pitcher pump? Yes ... Will most people? No...

Of course, that all assumes we're looking for good clean water. If I didn't care about good clean water I'd just go drink it out of a puddle, creek, river etc. No need to even worry about a well if you don't care about clean water.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom