• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I finally got a project to work on! Got a hawes western Marshall in .44mag that is/was in pretty rough shape. I got some before pics but it looked a lot worse in person. But anyway i am cleaning it up and going to slow rust blue the steel parts and figure out a finish for the grip frame and ejector rod housing which are some kind of alloy (moly resin:dunno:) and make a new base pin since the original is chewed up (appears some one used pliers to get it out) not sure what else I will do but thats it for now.

before

ran it on the buffer to remove what bluing was left

not a very good pic but you can kinda see qgouges in the barrel where someone tried to remove the base pin with pliers or something....it was bad

used some swiss needle files to get rid of the gouges and pitting.

got some more but photobucket just froze up.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    ok here we go

cleaning up file marks with some 3m trizact paper

cleaning up around the front sight with the swiss files

hit the steel parts on the buffer again just bring out any scratches i missed

Thats it for now tomorrow im ordering the rust blue stuff and might turn a new base pin if i get the time.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    Thanks guys! Im going to try to post updates as i go along until i get everything finished.

I have a question about rust blueing and am hoping some one on here knows. Can you use steel wool to card the parts after boiling? those dang brushes are $13 dollars and are easy to lose.

CMB69

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    Indy
    Steel wool has oil on it, otherwise it would rust away waiting to be purchased/used. You would need to thoroughly degrease after each use. Brush will work better anyway. Steel wool will hold onto a lot of what you are wanting to remove.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    Believe it or not im still working on this. I rust blued all the steel parts but because there are 3 different alloys i couldnt get the shades to match so i durablued it ran into a few hiccups contacted lcw and thet are sending me a new can of the dura blue. This stuff is pretty cool does it look exactly like hot bluing? No but it is passable and looks better than some new guns.

LCW customer service is awesome if you are considering a duracoat project i say go for it.

Top Bottom