• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    What air filter do you guys use in your vehicles?

Is it really worth buying the "cleanable"'filters such as K&N?
    Or is stock paper better?

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    for every 1000 people saying K&N filters are worth it you have 1000 saying they aren't. I have a drop in K&N on the jeep and the first few days the butt dyno felt the difference. I feel it only really helps overall if your upgrading the rest of the intake and exhaust system.(which I have) I'm guessing your putting it on a 4.0?

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    PITA to clean because they take a while to dry. IF u over oil it u can/will mess up a MAF. Personally I like them for Hi-Po cars with engine/exhaust/intake/rear end work. But for stock vehicle no real NEED. Up to u. The green part of u may say reusable since less trash being generated, but keep a spare in the garage so when u clean it, u have something to put in there if u need to drive it. Use oil sparingly, u can always add more if needed.

And K&N is good, not real sure about FRAM Airhogs. Have 1 in my truck, but came that way.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    If you're lazy like I am, you'll actually end up losing performance in the long run because it won't get cleaned and serviced often enough. Most of the quality aftermarket filters work very well, but only IF they get cleaned and oiled regularly.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Depending on the cost of a paper filter, K&N can be cheaper in the long run too.
    When I worked at a parts store, I sold many K&N s to people not so much as a horsepower increase or mileage, but to save them from endless $30 paper filters that their cars (or truck) called for.
    The added power and fuel mileage was just frosting on the cake for them.

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    I have K&N in both my vehicles. Not sure if they really add much in the way of performance or not, but I did notice a slight increase in MPG in my car when I put it in. Plus I have recouped the cost of it by not having to replace it on both the car and truck already.
    YMMV (literally!)

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    IF the reason u r asking is because of Fuel Economy (who isn't) then verify u have the correct tire pressure, clean the throttle body, and clean the MAF if so equipped. Small details that are easy and inexpensive but do help.

spainy79

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Sullivan
    I bought Airaid CAI's for both of my vehicles ('Hoe in '04 and Dodge in '05). Still using the same filter for both of them. Having said that I doubt I'll ever buy another CAI but a reusable filter is not out of the question.

grimor

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    Elkhart
    The way most people instal K&N filters, they're just hot air injection systems. If you do it right and put it in a box with a scoop hood, yes they are worth it.

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    The way most people instal K&N filters, they're just hot air injection systems. If you do it right and put it in a box with a scoop hood, yes they are worth it.
    Uh, u r referring to FIPKs, factory K&N replacements use the same restrictive factory stuff. I agree with the assessment of FIPK sucking hot air, though. Tradeoff for flow vs. heat. Makes it sound better, though. Cold air ram effect is the way to go.

Myself, I like the WS6 Ram Air hoods. But they don't look good on too many vehicles.

grimor

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    Elkhart
    Uh, u r referring to FIPKs, factory K&N replacements use the same restrictive factory stuff. I agree with the assessment of FIPK sucking hot air, though. Tradeoff for flow vs. heat. Makes it sound better, though. Cold air ram effect is the way to go.

Myself, I like the WS6 Ram Air hoods. But they don't look good on too many vehicles.
    this is what I think of when people say K&N
    k&n1.jpg

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    The washable filters only work when properly oiled. Otherwise, they let small stuff right through. I had one in my old truck, and it was fine. Just took too long to dry when I cleaned it. For the same cost, I can put Napa Gold filters in my vehicles for a couple of years or more.

I do have a washable K&N knock-off on my off-road jeep, with a nylon prefilter. It gets covered in mud/dirt/sand and sprayed with water. Its nice to be able to just clean it instead of replace it after every few runs.

BTW: The stock Jeep air box is not nearly restrictive enough to need replaced. At most, pull the small air horn off and replace with an elbow the diameter of the airbox inlet. Its more important to keep water and debris OUT than get more air IN.

Top Bottom