• ...and so much more!
  • 7th Stepper

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2011
    Indiana
    I'm just checking in, sorry I didn't get a chance to get back on last nite, we did indeed have a "visitor" to our garage! And I stupidly forgot to go into the laundry room and lock the door from the garage into the house, I was frightened and I just wasn't thinking about it.

Bill got home and wanted to know when it was that our daughter had left, as she'd left the garage door wide open. I had to tell him that she'd not been over all day, in fact no one had, but that I'd been hearing car doors, and noises in the garage for a couple of hours by then. He looked at me and asked....."are you?", and I pointed to my pocket and said "yes".

He promptly went back into the garage and changed the code to the automatic garage door opener, and disabled the keypad on the outside of the doorjam, so that it couldn't be used at all. I sent a text to our daughter telling her that her opener wouldn't work at the moment, and that she needed to come over so her father could reprogram it. Bill came back in after changing the code and asked me if I'd seen anything missing, but I told him no, because I'd been afraid of opening the door and finding someone either standing there, or ransacking thru our stuff. He agreed that it was the wisest thing to do, then went back into the now closed garage to take inventory to see if anything was missing.

Our garage is a bit of a mess at the moment (we're organizing the winter stuff that I'll need, like the wood, starter kit, groceries, etc.) so it was rather hard to find if anything was missing or out of place. We'll take a better inventory over the weekend to see if anything turns up missing. At least the freezer was untouched, so all the food in there is still where it should be.

He was understandably upset, but glad that I at least had the presence of mind to arm myself, just in case someone tried to come in. Which I think the dogs prevented just by barking loudly at the door. And it's not that hard to tell a large dog's bark from a small one, and all 3 were going off. He kept checking to see if I was ok, (he knows that I get frazzled when something is amiss) and checking the garage to make sure the door remained shut. It did, so we think whoever it was, was scared off before they could do any serious damage. I'm also glad that we have the dogs that we do, as the two bigger ones, (one of which is our daughters and my Pit, that we're babysitting almost always now) can be very intimidating when they bark loudly.

I asked him if we should call the Sheriffs office to report it, but he said no, that they had enough things going on without calling them out here just to make a report. I did alert some of our neighbors to be on the lookout (for who I still don't know) and to make sure that their garage doors are shut, and their doors and windows shut and locked.

We've only had one other person try to break into the garage in the entire time we've lived here (going on 13 years now), and that was several years ago, when I was in the garage with the door cracked up about 2 feet to allow for airflow. Someone in a ski mask and gloves tried to climb under the door to get in. Benji put a stop to that in a big hurry. I'm wondering if it was the "person of interest" from several weeks ago, come back to see if he could get in this time?

I'm here alone today, as Bill works a 24 hour shift, but I've still got the dogs, no one at the moment but him can open the garage from outside, and I'm making sure that Betsy is very close and ready, just in case it happens again. And yes, I'm a bit paranoid at this point.

So the dogs were right, we did have an unwelcome guest, but thanks to them, it never went past the garage stage. They all got extra snacks last night, just to make sure they knew they'd done good. I've trained them all to "alert" if they hear something, and to "desist" when I tell them to, so I can hear what's going on. I didn't give the command to desist last night, I just let them bark to their hearts content!

I honestly don't know what would have happened if someone unknown had walked in, but I was armed and ready to use it if necessary. Bill's taught me that if I point it at someone, I'd better be ready to pull the trigger and stop the threat, however I can. I don't know if whoever it was would have made it past the dogs, they're large and very protective, but if that someone had, I'd have shot him after I made sure of my backstop, and that it wasn't anyone that I knew. Only 1 person besides the 3 of us has the code, and she's the daughter of our neighbors across the street. She only has it for EME purposes. If I'm down and need help, I can't in good faith let someone come in, they'd be seen as an intruder and most likely attacked. But since that situation hasn't ever happened before, that is also in question, because I don't know for sure what they'd actually do. If I'm down and can't get back up to lock them in our room so I can let the medics or PD in, then I'm stuck, and have to wait for Bill or our daughter to come rescue me, (we have a prearranged text msg that I'll send to the 3 of them) because I also refuse to have our dogs shot "in my best interest". I know, I know, some will disagree with me, and think my priorities are messed up or backwards, but I love our dogs, and WILL NOT put them in harms way, or have them risk being shot. My choice and my decision, and not open for debate.

To us they're a part of the family, and I'll deal with that when/if it ever happens. I also believe in Guardian Angels (NOT open for discussion either as religious topics or arguments aren't allowed anywhere on here, and I will respect the Mods decisions on that.) so I'm not afraid of something awful happening without my having some help available when/if I need it. I had that happen last June, and again at the end of Aug, I just waited until Bill got home to deal with the June problem, and our daughter to help me when I broke my foot. That's his profession, and he's damned good at it! I'm not trying to be argumentative, I'm just still frazzled, and a bit cranky. I'm sorry if I'm coming across as b****y, I really don't mean to.

Anyway, I'm just updating what happened last night, and I'm sorry I wasn't able to get back on here to keep any of my friends or others from worrying about me. We were kinda busy making sure that it wouldn't happen again, and taking a partial inventory. By then I was in a great deal of pain and exhausted, so I just went to bed instead.

But thank you to anyone who offered up a prayer for me and my safety, I greatly appreciate it. I sincerely hope it never happens again, but even if it does, I'm still not peaking into the garage to confirm if someone's there or not, but I WILL remember to go lock the door, to try and prevent them from coming in and causing any physical harm, as well as calling 911 to have someone qualified come and check it out. Regardless of how nervous and frazzled I am at the time. That is a permanent "note to self", and won't be forgotten.

db1959

Resident Dumbass I
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    In a garage
    7th stepper, I believe you posted in the wrong thread but after I read your post I can understand why. My thoughts go out to you for your health and safety.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Two kids trying to out-do each other in the volume category as they try desperately to get my attention and let me know they are done with lunch. Now they're giggling. And now they're back to screaming. Should've named 'em Eliza and Gabriella instead of Elijah and Gabriel apparently.

7th Stepper

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2011
    Indiana
    7th stepper, I believe you posted in the wrong thread but after I read your post I can understand why. My thoughts go out to you for your health and safety.

Thank you db, I greatly appreciate it. I started the post last night, with the intent of just mention what I was hearing here in the house, but it deteriorated into a really bad situation. I'd also said that I'd check back in, and I didn't want anyone to wonder or worry what had become of me.

It was indeed a very scary situation, and not one that I've really ever considered having happen, so I've not actually practiced what I'd do in case the threat did happen. As is my tendency, I "frizzed", but at least retained a bit of my senses to go in and get my .380 and stick it in my bathrobe pocket. I sat here frozen to my desk until Bill got home, then with him taking charge of the situation, I was finally able to relax down, and calm down as well.

One of the things that made it so scary, which we'd never thought of either, is at the moment, my R foot and leg is in a hard cast up to my knee, and walking is extremely difficult for me. Beating a hasty retreat just wasn't an option. I can't be "hasty" about anything right now, or I'll fall over and be totally helpless. That was the scariest part. I really had to rely on the dogs at first, then after Bill got home, I relied on him to take charge of what was going on, as he's far better prepared than I am at dealing with such things. I'm pretty much a noob at all this, and I haven't had a lot of training or chance to practice my newly acquired skill, so I had to rely on gut feelings, and a lot of praying! Both worked out well, and next time (hopefully there won't be a next time) I'll be better prepared. And hopefully more in charge of my fear and emotions as well.

I had that happen to me last year when I was out in CA, and it was when one of the neighbors at the apt complex where I was staying, was out with his Rotty, and it decided to attack my friends 2 dogs. Not a fair fight, the Rotty was far larger than her dogs, and FAR more aggressive. It pulled it's owner across the lawn where he was sitting, and onto the concrete walkway trying to get at her dogs. I was so terrified I became rooted to the spot where I was standing, totally unable to move even in the slightest. She fortunately managed to get her dogs in before anything happened, then berated me for being a wimp. No, I'm just rather attached to my various parts, and I'd like to stay that way, and not have them mangled in the process. I hate to say it, but they're not my dogs, so I was more afraid for myself, than I was for them.

I really have to work on being more alert, and actually reading and answering the OP's post, was probably what gave me the edge on hearing what was going on. I was listening to the sounds I could hear in the house, and that's when I kept hearing the car door open and shut in the garage. Thankfully because of his post making me more aware of my surroundings, I wasn't totally unaware of what was going on.

I will even go so far as to say that he actually was very instrumental in helping me become and remain safe, and prepared. Thank you very much for your good wishes, I'm better today, but we'll see how badly frayed my nerves get when it gets dark and I'm here alone again. This time I won't need an INGO post to jump start me, I'm already aware of the sounds around me, and alert for any trouble. But he probably saved my butt from being snuck up on last night, just by innocently asking people what they were hearing at the time. I owe him a great BIG Thank You, he helped and didn't even know it.

Top Bottom