• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    I've only read the intro. So far, I generally agree. A baseline level of gun handling and marksmanship needs to be obtained and repeatable under stress. That allows a person to automate those processes and focus mental energy on solving the problem.

The shooting part is only a tiny fracton of the problem. Dozens of decisions are made before it ever gets that far.That's dozens of opportunities to avoid, improve position, gather and process pertinent information, etc.

In my experience, the best way to gain those skills short of being in dangerous situations is through a cycle of well-presented force-on-force scenario training to gain context and identify decision making gaps; classical instruction and study of tactics, legal issues, and review of real situations to improve options, assumptions and responses; practice the training to the extent possible; then retest with more Force-on-force.

Making effective decisions in the moment is the most important skill. Experience making those decisions is the best way to improve them.

Last edited:

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Excellent article. I liked how the author described the 'shopkeeper' at different points in the OODA loop in order to show what the stages are and their use.

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    It brings up a good point. It's all about your will to act on the situation and pretty much be quick about it. A lot of people with no training tend to freeze up. It's often said that just being armed doesn't protect you at all from threats. You need to start with the mindset of a fighter.

EPeter213

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2016
    Floyd/Harrison
    I have found a lot of useful information on luckygunner.com

I particularly like the way the information is presented in a "here are some things you might want to consider" manner as opposed to "this is the way you should do things"

In my experience, people tend to retain things much more when they have to think about them, as opposed to being simply 'told'.

Top Bottom