• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I've been reading into rail covers via the search function. I have found a couple rail covers that I like. But then I found that a lot of guys like the Ladder Rails instead. And then I found that others use a combination of rail covers AND ladder rails on their AR's. What the heck?

What do you look for in a rail cover? Why would you want to use a ladder over a rail cover? And why would you want to use both on one AR?

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    cm-operator-approved-125pxw.gif

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    The first and foremost reason for rail covers is to keep the sharp rail edges from cutting up your hands during shooting and manipulations. They also protect the rail edges from getting dinged and damaged. And finally they offer a canvas to further customize your AR, as you can get various styles and colors to suit your 'wants'.

Here is what I personally look for in a rail cover:

• Comfortable and stable grip
    • Easy to install and remove
    • Secure on the rail
    • Adds minimal weight
    • Can be configured to various setups
    My current setup is a combination of Magpul XTm and ladders.

I chose the XTms for the sides because of they are easy to install, can be configured in infinite ways around my light (or whatever gear you've got), and they look good. If I was running a camo or FDE/OD scheme, I could also alternate different colored pieces.

I use the ladders on the top and bottom rail, as well as on the empty rail spaces on my upper. Having XTms all the way around the rail makes it very tube-like, which I don't care for. The ladders also help save weight.

Before the XTms I had Magpul XT covers. I liked the look and the textured surface, and I liked how I could easily cut them with scissors to make them fit exactly (even though I'd have to buy more pieces if I changed up my configuration). They were also very easy to install, but that also meant that they were more prone to getting torn off on barricades and gear, as they were a softer material overall.

Here is why I didn't go with some other brands/types:

TangoDown/Scar - very $$$, and aren't user-configurable, so you have to buy different sized pieces to fit. I do, however, like the look and the texture.

KAC Ribbed Panels - same reasons as above, but I also didn't care for the lack of texturizing.

Troy - surface was almost too rough, plastic was VERY hard, and not user-configurable.

Ergo - rubbery surface is nice on the hands, but I had my doubts on their ability to stay stuck on.

UTG - a personal pet-peeve. They are HUGE and have a funky surface. Because they only come in smaller sections, they make your rail look stupid and choppy. My advice to folks that buy a UTG rail and get these covers for free is to toss them in the trash and buy some nicer covers so at least your rail doesn't scream UTG. (actually my advice would be to buy a better rail in the first place :D)

Ok so I just read back what I wrote and realize that I've spent WAAAAY too much time thinking about my rail covers. :D

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    I found some interesting covers for my M&P 15-22 from an airsoft accessory maker. They are from a company called JB Unicorn, and they work great on my little .22 AR. If I had a rail system on my 5.56 AR, I'd buy these for it in FDE. They give a good grip, protect from the sharp edges, and they are in small pieces so that you can easily work them around things mounted to the rails. They ran about 20 bucks off Ebay. I couldn't be happier with them.

JBU Airsoft AEG Tactical RIS Handguard Rail Covers BLK - eBay (item 260675402377 end time Nov-07-10 17:16:57 PST)

I'll get some pics of my M&P 15-22 soon and will post them here.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Awesome! Did you go DD Omega 7?

Yeah. That way I can put it on myself. Plus I figured if I went thru the trouble of getting the Larue, and removing the FSB, I should get the folding sight, the longer rail, gas block....I didn't want to spend that much more money.

I MAY go that route later though :)

I'm getting a light tomorrow, and I'm gonna just stock up on mags, no, Pmags, now :D

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I prefer the ladder-type deals over the covers. The reason is, with my freakishly short fingers, the ladders do not increase the diameter of the foreend, whereas almost all covers do.

Another thing is that it's really easy to cut ladders to fill exactly the gap you need to fill. That's usually not the case with covers.

My guns with rails have DD Omega Rails and I used the ladders that came with them.

Top Bottom