• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mertbl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Best/easiest pistol is a striker fired 9mm with extended 140mm magazines. You don't have to worry about a safety during abandonment.

yournamehere

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2013
    Most 3 Gunners run either an STI 2011 or a Glock 34.

Pure bovine excriment. Ive been doing 3 gun before it was called 3 gun. A 2011 is usually from STI since there are lots of cross over shooters but non 2011 platforms run all accross the board. Personally I transfered into a SIG Competition X5. I have used several brands of 1911's from some of the best, 2011's from STI and SVI(know what that its?), XDs and my newest which seems to be good for me a SIG 9 X5 Competition.

Last edited:

yournamehere

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2013
    Others may not use them, but a Walther P99 is worth looking at. Its a great gun, just lousy marketing. I
    Why? I have never seen one used for 3 gun/multigun. A 4" barrel? With a relativly low round mag unless there are aftermarket mags I dont see it. AND litteraly never have.

yournamehere

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2013
    Trying to figure out what's the best gun out there for 3 gun.. I'm in between a glock 34 Springfield xdm hk p30l and a decent 1911.. Any suggestions?
    The best suggestion is to take what you have to a match. Any match. A USPSA match will give you the same feel for the way a handgun will fit your needs for 3Gun. There is a Indiana Multigun match Sunday, in a few hours, at the Wildcat in Lafayette. Its a ways away for you but you could also go to the local club in your area Riely for USPSA etc and ask around. Ask for Joey, he is the cute guy. He covets my new SIG and has my old X2.
    Internet advice is free and often worth less than you pay for it. Including mine. Go to the Enos.com forums and do some looking there for more info from guys who shoot the **** our of 3 gun and USPSA and even IDPA.
    I respect anyones opinon who shoots the stuff MORE THAN ONCE or twice and professes to have all of the info YOU should use to make a choice. I laugh at the guys who shoot one and are instant experts on what someone else should use.
    Heck most guys at a match will let you try their stuff after a match before you leave if you ask.
    Good luck and do your homework before you jump.

yournamehere

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2013
    Anything 9mm or above with 5 mags. Nothing else really matters.
    Actually 9 is all you need since there is no power factor unless you go heavy metal. IF you use the same pistol for USPSA or the weak sister IDPA then cal will matter. USPSA 9mm is minor unless you go big so to speak. Buying a specific handgun for 3 gun is a a 9 all the way. IMO. Which you get for free and may not be worth what you pay for it.
    But his reply is short and sweet and mostly right.
    I hate seeing new guys getting gunshop commando BS

Jesse Tischauser

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2011
    Oklahoma
    In order of popularity...

STI 2011
    Glock 34
    M&P 9 Pro

All three work great.

Here are mine...

2011 Tactical Frame
    2E5E0CBC-AFE9-4920-95A1-073EDDCC6D5F-8654-000007513B640922_zps2c466ceb.jpg

2011 short dust cover frame
    2011-9mm-4.jpg

the Glock 34 I learned with.

G34Production3Gun.png

Pitmaster

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    South Bend, IN
    Why? I have never seen one used for 3 gun/multigun. A 4" barrel? With a relativly low round mag unless there are aftermarket mags I dont see it. AND litteraly never have.

I have a bunch of Walther OEM 15 round magazines, a couple of 16 and 20 round magazines also. I'm not sure where you get the "relatively low round mag" comment. I've been using my P99 for IDPA, USPSA, and 3-gun for years as well as my primary carry gun. Its been as reliable as any gun out there. I've also used Glocks and 1911's. Overall the Walther has been the most reliable.

I agree you don't see them that often but I consider that more of Glock, Sig's, SW marketing over the years followed by some Kool-Aid drinking. The P99 does cost more than the others. I consider the quality of the gun to be better. I personally like the ergonomics and controls of the P99. Many people don't care for the mag release, but this is more of a training issue. I find it much quicker and easier with the release on the trigger guard vs. the side.

I'm guessing you are confusing the P99, with the PPQ, PPS, and PPX. A Glock 17 barrel length is just over 4.01".

mertbl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I have a bunch of Walther OEM 15 round magazines, a couple of 16 and 20 round magazines also. I'm not sure where you get the "relatively low round mag" comment. I've been using my P99 for IDPA, USPSA, and 3-gun for years as well as my primary carry gun. Its been as reliable as any gun out there. I've also used Glocks and 1911's. Overall the Walther has been the most reliable.

I agree you don't see them that often but I consider that more of Glock, Sig's, SW marketing over the years followed by some Kool-Aid drinking. The P99 does cost more than the others. I consider the quality of the gun to be better. I personally like the ergonomics and controls of the P99. Many people don't care for the mag release, but this is more of a training issue. I find it much quicker and easier with the release on the trigger guard vs. the side.

I'm guessing you are confusing the P99, with the PPQ, PPS, and PPX. A Glock 17 barrel length is just over 4.01".

Not sure if yours is 40 or 9 but 15-16 is low for 3 gun, my 140mm m&p 9 mags hold 23.

Top Bottom