• ...and so much more!
  • tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    Revolver may be best for someone with limited hand/arm strength. Also the Ruger cylinder latch with its large push in lever manipulation may be easier for her also.

While alot of revolvers can be had in a lightweight frame, most of the still have a very heavy trigger pull that would make it difficult an elderly woman to shoot accurately. A good set of springs and a good polishing would help alot, but in my experience, the old "revolver for women and elderly" adage is outdated. She would be better served with a good dog, and a phone holder on her walker. Granted the manual of arms is what makes revolvers an easy choice for women and elderly, but the heavy trigger pull and muzzle blast make them not a good choice in alot of instances.
    The Shield EZ is what I would recommend if she really wanted a gun. Both the .380 and 9mm are very easy to manipulate for the average female, but if she does not understand how to run it, it's a non-starter.
    JM2C, YMMV.

Megasaki

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 1, 2020
    Bloomington
    A revolver. Many people have problems with slides. Also women seem to be intimidated by autos. Can you see an elderly woman clearing a jam?
    Get her a S&W 36 or an airweight and use 38S&W's in it..the little short ones. They launch lead just fine and a second shot can be done quickly.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I wouldn't recommend a semiauto for an elderly person with grip strength issues, regardless of how easy the slide is to rack. One malfunction, and she's out of the fight.

A revolver makes much more sense, and grip strength issues call for a revolver with a trigger pull that is light and smooth as possible. I've owned several revolvers, and the only one that fills the bill short of a Colt Python for a smooth, relatively light DA trigger is the Ruger LCR.

Specifically, I would recommend a Ruger LCRx with a 3" barrel in .357 magnum. Not because I would expect a little old lady to load it up with fireball maaaagnum loads, but for the extra weight of the .357 model's frame, which uses steel instead of aluminum like the .38 Special model. This will dampen recoil to a very manageable level when loaded with standard pressure .38 Special loads. A soft lead 158 grain hollowpoint or even a full wadcutter will do just fine at out of a 3" barrel. No slide to worry about, no magazine release to accidentally engage and no jams.

This review is for the .38 model, but Jeff Quinn demonstrates the easy trigger in his review:

[video=youtube;QEn24xPyIVw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEn24xPyIVw[/video]

Top Bottom