• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rideac

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 7, 2011
    I know this is known by many people, but that amount of people relative to how many people don't know about this situation is very, very small. Thus, a need for an answer to this question:

• "What is SHTF?"

SHTF - Wiktionary

When SHTF: Referring to the point in time when a series of events leads to global economic failure. for example:

If the revolts in the middle eastern countries spreads to Saudi Arabia(supplies 25% of the worlds oil) then oil production will decrease, if not be 100% depleted in this region. This would lead the demand for oil being way higher than supply. Gas prices would skyrocket worldwide. $7-9 federal reserve notes per gallon, if not more. High gas prices in turn would lead to high food prices and that would effect the whole world. So if no one could afford to buy food and the government couldn't afford to give it to us(the 14.1 trillion federal reserve note debt the US has) then people could potentially start rioting and be very desperate to feed their families.

Some people(myself included) have just realized this situation and must begin preparing by stocking up on food, water, medical supplies, and everything else it takes to survive. Though difficult this task may be, to go from zero to hero on this kind of thing, I find it optimal to at least try.

The people being distracted by many hours Jersey Shore and other useless programming, eating Mcdonalds, and complaining about the length of the walk between the car and the parking lot will be most effected.

This topped with our government being hijacked by elitist banker/corporations. Using their vast sums of money to buy out politicians and make policies giving them the upper hand and control over the people. The Federal Reserve being a private bank would be a good example of this. Issuing the United States currency, they print the money and then loan it to us at interest.

There is a lot to this and I could really go on all day, but I don't want you to believe me. Don't believe everything on the internet, I urge you to do your own research. Check out various websites, read different articles, and watch various documentaries. Also, be very, very wary of what information you believe from MAINSTREAM MEDIA like CNN, MSNBC, FOX NEWS. The same handful of colluding corporations own all of those networks and they'll only broadcast the information they want you to know.

check out this thread for videos about this.

Also Infowars.com

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    SHTF can also be a person by person case. A family member could get sick or a job could be lost and totally send a family into a SHTF scenario. Someone who has preps will make it through this time better.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Don't get me wrong you do need supplies and gear but keep in mind that survivor have one thing in common, will and mindset.

BlisterPac

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    Don't get me wrong you do need supplies and gear but keep in mind that survivor have one thing in common, will and mindset.

+1. Skills, materials, knowledge are one thing - but you have to have the WILL to make things happen.

How many people have we seen in the world that have the ability, but not "go get-em" to maximize their potential/abilities/opportunities.

Just as important as the things in my preps: "Self-Reliance" by R.E. Emerson, "Walden" by H.D. Thoreau, and (without proselytizing) Psalm 23 to name a few.

I've read to "The Road" to motivate (worst case scenario), and listen to "Going through Hell" (Rodney Atkins) to put it in perspective.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Will and mindset are important. I will definitely be using my will if the shtf. I just hope my lawyer wrote it up correctly, I would hate for my ex-wife to get my stuff.

moea222

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Being prepared for the unexpected is a good thing ... not some weirdo idea. Being prepared is the mindset spoken about above.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I am not a conspiracy theorist but I have had this discussion with my friends and find myself on the outside of the majority of opinion.

I do believe that one should be prepared for whatever happens, from a solar flare disrupting communications to a war that could disrupt supplies. Most of my friends don't think it could ever happen, yet history tells us that there are no promises for the future. I am not prepared enough but my friends are not prepared at all.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    I am not a conspiracy theorist but I have had this discussion with my friends and find myself on the outside of the majority of opinion.

I do believe that one should be prepared for whatever happens, from a solar flare disrupting communications to a war that could disrupt supplies. Most of my friends don't think it could ever happen, yet history tells us that there are no promises for the future. I am not prepared enough but my friends are not prepared at all.

Amen

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis

Kinda like meeting the criterion for getting away from the bear - be faster than your companions...

ranjah6

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Being prepared is always a good idea whether the SHTF or not. If it happens we have a lot of good kit that we can use to sustian ourselves and our families. If we are wrong we have some extra stuff to help us save money, and have some really good skillsets.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    When SHTF: Referring to the point in time when a series of events leads to global economic failure. for example:

Actually, there is no hard definition of SHTF. It can be personal such as the loss of a job or major illness, regional such as natural or manmade disaster, and it can be worldwide such as you are discussing. Then there's TEOTWAWKI, The End Of The World As We Know It, which is generally used to discuss something so large that human society and culture will not recover in any reasonable (years) time.

Do NOT spend all of your emotional energy worrying about large scale events you can't control anyway. Prepare for very likely events that can happen to you personally, and in doing so you will be better prepared for the large scale events. For three decades now I have been prepared for major events that seemed very real at the time, but thus far have not come to fruition. There will ALWAYS be some major catastrophe to worry about, don't spend so much time preparing to survive them that you forget to live in the meantime.

To put it into perspective:
    SHTF on INGO I've noticed since June 2010:
    2 Emergency surgery
    3 Divorce
    6 Serious car accidents no serious injury but car totaled
    2 Serious car accidents- injury requiring hospital
    1 Serious at fault car crash, 5 serious injuries, inadequate insurance
    9 Lost jobs/no new job ready to go
    8 Family deaths
    7 children born
    2 significant flooding events
    3 computer crashes with total loss of data/no backup
    1 major house fire-displaced occupants months later
    2 terminal illness in family diagnosis.
    2 household problems with freezing weather.
    Note there have been no zombie apocalypse or major social collapse in that time, but each of these I grant you that these are just little figures I've been noting as I see them, and I may have missed a few. I don't think I missed a ZA or major social collapse. Each one of those little SHTF or other events were life changing events for the folks involved.

Just something to think about when you prep.

rideac

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 7, 2011

yes same here

rideac

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 7, 2011
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/survival_and_disaster_preparedness/137650-informative_documentaries.html

I just think we can't go any further in society really. our money is only worth the paper its printed on. its not backed up by gold or silver like it once was. on top of that they're printing more and more of it every second (and creating it digitally). Its only a matter of time before the dollar is completely worthless, hyperinflation shows its ugly head and ravages the debt-ridden American people. Their wages will stay the same, but the loaves of bread they buy will skyrocket do to oil availability and dollar devaluation.

I know their have been reasons to prepare in the past (Y2k not being one), but the time is now to be prepared. I wish i had an opportunity to have prepared prior to this, but I think I'm ahead of anyone my age (20y.o) just by thinking about this instead of watching jersey shore and hanging out on facebook all day.

The only reason the US is still afloat is because our currency is the World reserve currency and because you have to buy oil in dollars due to our government muscling other countries around with great frequency. Any real country would need an equal or greater amount of exports to have a balanced economy, but we only consume consume consume and all we export is the scrap metal from the buildings our own government brings down (twin towers)

I know when SHTF can also be on an individual basis, but right now we are only months away from our species **** hitting the fan. We humans have destroyed the earth more than we know, and its not you just our (civilians) fault. It has to do more with how much weight ALL CORPORATIONS HAVE IN OUR GOVERNMENT, THEY RUN US. The dump their wastes into our water to save money on clean up and since our government was hijacked by bankers in 1913 via the Federal Reserve Act (written by bankers, not politicians) we have been under attack.

I'm not sure what our future holds for us, but we can put the future of this planet back into our hands if more people could wake up. I know some humans are dumbed down too much to comprehend this whole situation, so worry not about them.

go to Alex Jones' Infowars: There's a war on for your mind! and PrisonPlanet.tv - Welcome to

learn the truth for yourselves. don't trust mainstream media (CNN, FOXNEWS, MSNBC) they're all sell outs and are only spreading disinformation to the people dumb enough to believe it. Like fireworks were responsible for thousands of dead birds in winter 2010 and that DONALD TRUMP could give obama a run for his money in the 2012 election, FAILING TO MENTION RON PAUL AS EVEN A POSSIBILITY. This news bias makes me sick everyday and i see no one speculating on it, only believing what they see on TV. which is what they've been conditioned to do.

spread the word.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2009
    Dyer
    SHTF can also be a person by person case. A family member could get sick or a job could be lost and totally send a family into a SHTF scenario. Someone who has preps will make it through this time better.

Amen to that brother! I have said this for years. SHTF will happen one family at a time. That's the way it is planned. One day everyone will wake up with a bunch of broken fans and sh#t everywhere and wonder what happened.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Remember:

1. Prep yourself but also prep your neighbor - you're gonna need him.
    2. Stock yourself, but also stock something for your neighbor. It is the righteous thing to do and there will be no grading on the curve come judgement even if you are banking on one.
    3. Train your neighbor - every round of ammo you let him shoot of yours now is worth 100 rounds later in an emergency.
    4. Get to know your neighbor - Break bread together now, it will make breaking MRE crackers together later easier.
    5. Go from likely to unlikely - Pay off credit cards before doing more debt for freeze dried foods.
    6. Enjoy life - If you cannot enjoy life now, then you cannot prep for mentally surviving what you wish to survive.
    7. Do not withdraw - Do all that you can to make a better future now. Do not assume the worst will happen, plan for it to happen and then begin to hope it will just to prove you right. Fight all the way down the slope and make it so that if bad does come, it was despite your every effort to avoid it.

Top Bottom