• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    The closest I ever saw this being pulled off was when the stage RO (who was the MD) TOLD everyone he was re-arranging targets, but not really. It wasn't long before that was figured out, too.... "When I shot it it was T1 T2 NS T3" "oh me too" "me too" etc...

-rvb

ps some of the most fun stages I ever shot weren't legal. Sometimes I wish we could get away w. a little more for club matches...

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    You'd argue that based on how many years of competition shooting experience, again?

Just offering my honest opinion Rob, No need to act like a jerk about it. I'm sure you have never offered suggestions that seemed common sense to you on topics that you were not an expert on. Right? Right? I never claimed to be an expert, and never claimed that my opinion was fact. ETA: A proper and polite response should have been: "No, I think you are incorrect. Here is why..." and not "you are wrong simply because you are not qualified to hold an opinion on the matter."

Here is some advice that I AM qualified to give as a VERY novice level competitor: That kind of attitude is what turns people off about USPSA and other shooting sports, FYI.

ETA: And this ends my input on the topic, as my lack of experience and training apparently means any input will automatically be dismissed out of hand.

And remember, opinions are like a-holes; We all have them and they all stink! :):

The closest I ever saw this being pulled off was when the stage RO (who was the MD) TOLD everyone he was re-arranging targets, but not really. It wasn't long before that was figured out, too.... "When I shot it it was T1 T2 NS T3" "oh me too" "me too" etc...

-rvb

ps some of the most fun stages I ever shot weren't legal. Sometimes I wish we could get away w. a little more for club matches...

And if its a club match, which I think I saw somewhere that they were more laid back, whats wrong with it being a bit "out of spec" if everyone playing the game agrees to the modification and it doesnt affect safety?

For instance a lot of the golf I used to play involved special rules like "if you are looking for your ball in the rough and you are the only ones on the course, the first ball you find can be yours.". Is it PGA legal? Hell no! But we all agree to it and HAVE FUN!

Last edited:

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    And if its a club match, which I think I saw somewhere that they were more laid back, whats wrong with it being a bit "out of spec" if everyone playing the game agrees to the modification and it doesnt affect safety?

In uspsa the rules tell you which rules can be relaxed. People want to know what they are going to when they spend their money and time going to a match. And even some club matches have $/prizes on the line, even if small. People don't like loosing because of chance, especially if prizes are involved.

-rvb

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    In uspsa the rules tell you which rules can be relaxed. People want to know what they are going to when they spend their money and time going to a match. And even some club matches have $/prizes on the line, even if small. People don't like loosing because of chance, especially if prizes are involved.

-rvb

Thanks for a reasoned response.

Dang!! 2 years I've wasted on ingo without knowing that the mods would let you say that. Probably a lot of other good descriptives out there that I'm missing out on too, needs to be a list somewhere.

Can we say tosser ?

Good point, they probably wont once one sees it. Fixed now that a clearer head prevails.

Snizz1911

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2013
    Just offering my honest opinion Rob, No need to act like a jerk about it. I'm sure you have never offered suggestions that seemed common sense to you on topics that you were not an expert on. Right? Right? I never claimed to be an expert, and never claimed that my opinion was fact. ETA: A proper and polite response should have been: "No, I think you are incorrect. Here is why..." and not "you are wrong simply because you are not qualified to hold an opinion on the matter."

Here is some advice that I AM qualified to give as a VERY novice level competitor: That kind of attitude is what turns people off about USPSA and other shooting sports, FYI.

ETA: And this ends my input on the topic, as my lack of experience and training apparently means any input will automatically be dismissed out of hand.

And remember, opinions are like a-holes; We all have them and they all stink! :):

For instance a lot of the golf I used to play involved special rules like "if you are looking for your ball in the rough and you are the only ones on the course, the first ball you find can be yours.". Is it PGA legal? Hell no! But we all agree to it and HAVE FUN!

I'm too tired to dispute what you suggested in a stage and I think the more you explain the more muddy it gets... I thought it had already been done in the thread, but there were plenty of counter points given to your "idea,".... And it just kept going. Being creative or coming up with ideas is fine, but that doesn't make all ideas good, and at some point you have to use basic comprehension to digest what others are telling you.

jakemartens

Master
    Rating - 96.1%
    99   4   0
    Aug 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    USPSA has rules that have to be followed for club (level I) matches, your suggestions are not valid for what OP suggest, which has been posted

There is nothing wrong with the suggestions for non USPSA sanctioned matches, for a fun match it could be done, but that is not what the OP was asking about

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Dang!! 2 years I've wasted on ingo without knowing that the mods would let you say that. Probably a lot of other good descriptives out there that I'm missing out on too, needs to be a list somewhere.

Can we say tosser ?

I used to just be a white trash prick, so I'm moving up! :rockwoot:

For asking a question, no less.

I think you're wrong and here's why:
    If the 3 targets are equally spaced about 2 or 3 yards apart, whoever gets a T1-T2-NS or NS-T2-T3 presentation has an advantage over someone that gets T1-NS-T2.
    Why? because a 2-3yd transition is faster and easier than a 4-6yd transition. As the distance between targets increases, so does the advantage.

If you've never shot competition, that difference might not be obvious. It might not even make sense without the experience, which is why I asked. ;)

Last edited:

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    And that's only assuming, of course, that you could see the targets from the start position which would defeat the purpose of a super tactical blind stage, wouldn't it?

If the targets are behind something, and a competitor has to lean around a wall, the guy who gets T1-T2-NS will have to lean further than the guy who gets NS-T1-T2 (or vice versa, depending on wall configuration) The more one has to lean, the slower the transitions and splits are going to be.

Some of the shooting sports have some silly rules, but the requirement that every shooter get the same stage isn't one of them.

mongo404

Master
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Frankfort
    Altering stages is not permitted in any of the shooting sports matches that I have attended. USPSA, IDPA, 3 GUN, Steel Challenge, Every shooter gets the same course of fire. Some will argue that if a head of a target is bent forward it is not the same presentation as the last guy. This is only the case during rainy day matches when bags are used normally.

I will add to my first post that most stages at club level should be designed to give experienced shooters a challenge. But still be fun for a new shooter making them want to come back and play some more. This is sometime hard to do. As most people knows I love fast hoser stages CB45 and Rob likes more difficult challenging stages. That makes for a good club match. Mix it up and have fun.

Last edited:

BillD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Greenwood

-rvb

We used to do this a lot at Wildcat 12-15 years ago. We had a ball coming up with stuff. I put on "tactical matches" (before tactical was cool and before it got used for everything). Shot the course with a rifle and a pistol or one or the other.We had threat targets, hostage targets, all kinds of stuff. They were full size color pictures of people in different poses. We could change a target to holding a badge to holding a gun. Or from a set of keys to a knife. Or holding a baby to holding a shotgun. They were pretty cool. There was a par time (I and a friend shot the course and doubled our time for the par time. There were four possible outcomes to the course:
    Go to the hospital, go to the morgue, go to jail, call a lawyer.

It was a hoot and we all learned a lot from it.

We would sometimes have half a dozen of us together, set up a fun COF and shoot it several ways: Freestyle, WHO, SHO, head shots only.

Things were a lot less structured then. But I enjoy what I do now.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    id argue that if it's 3 targets with a shirt being moved, it is the same for all shooters. They all have the same targets, the same no shoot, and all are ignorant of the configuration prior to the run. As long as the stands don't move I really don't see how it's an advantage to anyone. If the targets moved around ( forward, back, closer/farther apart, etc) then I could see a difference.

You do have the right to your own opinion, but not to your own facts. Not the same.

Of course, some of the moving and activating targets do not consistently present the same challenge to all competitors, but those random differences are accepted.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    We used to do this a lot at Wildcat 12-15 years ago. We had a ball coming up with stuff. I put on "tactical matches" (before tactical was cool and before it got used for everything). Shot the course with a rifle and a pistol or one or the other.We had threat targets, hostage targets, all kinds of stuff. They were full size color pictures of people in different poses. We could change a target to holding a badge to holding a gun. Or from a set of keys to a knife. Or holding a baby to holding a shotgun. They were pretty cool. There was a par time (I and a friend shot the course and doubled our time for the par time. There were four possible outcomes to the course:
    Go to the hospital, go to the morgue, go to jail, call a lawyer.

It was a hoot and we all learned a lot from it.

We would sometimes have half a dozen of us together, set up a fun COF and shoot it several ways: Freestyle, WHO, SHO, head shots only.

Things were a lot less structured then. But I enjoy what I do now.

Those were fun, and in fact when I first met you and the Wildcat crew of that generation.

I think I went to the morgue the most and jail second.

Top Bottom