What Scope for AR 10 long range shooting?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bruno8pnk

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 18, 2010
    I bought a DPMS AR 10 - flat top - for long range shooting, you know like wood chucks at 400-500 yrds. Not sure what I can find in a scope for $500-$800. I really like a mill dot reticle.

Any suggestions?

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    for 5-800 bucks id look into the falcon menace, mabye a vortex the falcon is a ffp scope wich is nice. if your looking for alot of zoom you might check out the nikon monarch line aswell

Titanium Man

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Indy---USA
    I know you really had your heart set on spending a wad of cash on a scope, and just hopefully utilizing it. Well, I picked up one of these-

.44 Mag 6-21x44 Matte Mil Dot Target Turrets, SF - SM441056 - The Consumer Link

mounted on my DPMS Heavy Barrel Flat Top AR, and There is NOTHING I can't see or hit on my farm with it! It's clean, clear and super affordable. I know, I know, it's not $800, but a lot of my buddies were blown away when I let them take a peak thru it. It really looks nice too!

I put Butler Creeks on it. Mounted it with CAA Picatinny Scope Rings Mfg# CSR1 (Very Important--Gets the Scope at the right height)

Check it out, and there are places much cheaper, but be sure and get the one with Target Turrets and the Scope Shade.

I don't believe the one pictured is it exactly, there's more on it.

I'm REALLY glad I did. I've got more expensive scopes, but for what I use this for, it's perfect.

Last edited:

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I know you really had your heart set on spending a wad of cash on a scope, and just hopefully utilizing it. Well, I picked up one of these-

.44 Mag 6-21x44 Matte Mil Dot Target Turrets, SF - SM441056 - The Consumer Link

mounted on my DPMS Heavy Barrel Flat Top AR, and There is NOTHING I can't see or hit on my farm with it! It's clean, clear and super affordable. I know, I know, it's not $800, but a lot of my buddies were blown away when I let them take a peak thru it. It really looks nice too!

I put Butler Creeks on it. Mounted it with CAA Picatinny Scope Rings Mfg# CSR1 (Very Important--Gets the Scope at the right height)

Check it out, and there are places much cheaper, but be sure and get the one with Target Turrets and the Scope Shade.

I don't believe the one pictured is it exactly, there's more on it.

I'm REALLY glad I did. I've got more expensive scopes, but for what I use this for, it's perfect.

have you box tested it or dialed out to long range and had it return to zero? simmons scopes are probably the best bang for the buck on the market imo.

Titanium Man

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Indy---USA
    have you box tested it or dialed out to long range and had it return to zero? simmons scopes are probably the best bang for the buck on the market imo.

The best I can say since Fall was a couple of Coyotes cracked at 300 yards. With 223, unfortunately, the bullet drop isn't great enough to notice even when shooting across a cornfield.;)

When I bought it, I've had your same faith in Simmons products, and I said, if I don't like it, I'll put it on something else. I lucked out.

I'd like to get out in the Spring and really test it out, but in the short term, it rocked. :yesway:

Top Bottom