• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hooker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2011
    NW IN
    Glock 23 under the bed. Glock 27 for carry. Mossberg 12ga in the corner accross from my bed.

If carry size is an issue, pretty much every major gun manufacturer (Glock, M&P, H&K, Sig, Springfield, etc.,) makes compact versions specifically for carry so finding any caliber won't be difficult.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    ...Thoughts?

Ok, so you want advice on what to buy next. I'll couch this in terms like, 'if I could only have 5 guns.' So, if I could only have 5 guns, they would be, in my order of priority (YMMV).

1. A mid-size defensive pistol in a duty caliber (i.e. 9/40/45). Something like the G19 is about the size I'm thinking. There are several choices out there (S&W M&P compact, etc.). Suitable for carry, travel, and home defense.
    2. Pump shotgun capable of doing defense and hunting duty. 12 or 20 ga. Remington or Mossberg.
    3. .22 LR Rifle.
    4. Mid-power rifle. Depending on what you go with here can be used for defense, varmints, etc. (ex. AR15, AK, etc.)
    5. .22 pistol.

Only after acquiring these would I'd think about adding things like a working revolver, a bolt action rifle, or hideout/backup guns like the LCP.

BulkAmmo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2010
    I like the idea of getting a shotgun next. Although a handgun purchase wouldn't be bad considering your LCP isn't the most fun at the range.

used Mossberg 500 or 870

22 rifle or pistol - Ruger 10/22 or 22/45 wouldn't be a bad choice

9/40/45 pistol - depending on which caliber you prefer. I tend to like the CZ pistols for overall price v quality.

AR/AK - depending on where your preferences lie.

Larryjr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Portland, IN
    i'm pretty much a newbie to the gun world but feel like with the changes in the world today that it's probably a good idea to be able to protect myself and my family.

My first purchase has been the LCP since I don't think I wold be comfortable (yet) caring something bigger. Plus i figure having something is better than nothing.

I know that I want to get a 9mm to shoot at the range once I pick a place to shoot (west side of Indy). May get a Sig 226 since i owned one in the past and really liked it.

Also have been thinking about what would be good to keep at home and possibly something that i could just leave in my pick up. If one could do double duty then that would be great.

Thoughts?

LCP's are good pocket guns. I do think, depending on your money situation, a larger handgun would be good have and practice with. There are so many options you just need to get to a couple good shops and handle as many as suit you. Someone else brought up a rifle or shotgun. Good idea. Handguns are great but they are for close range defense. Again, get to a good shop and talk to the guys behind the counter.

Best of luck.

Last edited:

PointFiveO

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2011
    St. Joseph County
    If you like the p226 go for it! I carried a 220 and it was a little heavy for my preferred holster. If you want something a little lighter and smaller but still big enough a Glock 19, as is suggested numerous times above, is an excellent piece.

But I agree with most of these posts, if you don't have a shotgun, GET ONE! A cheap pump 12 gauge is the best bang for your buck for home defense, and I would almost go as far as simply saying the best bang for home defense period. If you want cheap get a used/on sale Mossberg 500, they are reliable and pretty much identical to some of their more expensive counterparts. I personally have a love affair with the Remington 870 but it's more expensive for basically the same shotty.

Base522

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Thanks for all of the input!

I think I'm going to get a range pistol first but will definitely do the shotgun/rifle thing in time.

Strongly considering the Sig 2022 in 9mm or possibly in .40. Don't really want to stick a ton into a 226 right now.

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I second the motion about Mossberg shotguns. It's hard to beat the old Mossberg 500 for simple, reliable, accurate, shear fun to shoot...and effectiveness for home defense. If a burglar is in your house and hears you racking the slide on a shotgun, that may be all you ever have to do to defend your home--any sane person would get out of there FAST after hearing that!!

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008

ctrueblood87

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2011
    Terre Haute
    Something I was considering is buying a few different sizes, weights, and calibers of a few types of handguns and the same with rifles/shotguns. Also consider where you will be carrying your guns. As a female, I would like a larger caliber handgun like a .9mm or .40 for a thigh holster, my Ruger LCP .380 for ankle carry, and possibly something like a little .22 Derringer for easy concealment in the waistband or in a wallet holster.

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    Thanks for all of the input!

I think I'm going to get a range pistol first but will definitely do the shotgun/rifle thing in time.

Strongly considering the Sig 2022 in 9mm or possibly in .40. Don't really want to stick a ton into a 226 right now.

If you are going to shoot a lot, and YOU SHOULD, & money for ammo is a consideration, you cannot beat the 9mm. 1000 rounds FMJ for under $200 shipped to your door is very attractive! There is a lot of discussion around "stopping power", for me, I'd rather go with a caliber I can shoot a whole bunch of and become proficient with, and not have to take out a loan to do so!

I personally think (not based on ANY data other than what comes out of the dark recesses of my melon) that any caliber above a .32 is going to give enough of a pause that 99% of your BGs will un-ass out of your immediate area... so a 9mm with 17 rounds plus should get you enough lead into target to either un-ass them, or drop them.

Personally I would prefer to drop them... don't want a lawsuit for medical costs for the BG later on!

Taylorz71

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Central IN
    Great open question and I am glad for places like this to get good information. It is always great to have another informed gun owner among us. A shotgun is great HD gun plus you can kill you own food with it later if needed. Easy for me because I love hunting even though we can still get meat at the store. Make sure you buy a stock of ammo before you buy a new gun too - new gun then ammo new gun then ammo and so on :D . Good luck and keep reading.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    Get something NOW because once O'bama is reelected and we lose the House all gun rights activist will be able to do is drag their heels until the next off-year election. (All the guilt-ridden white liberals, young and old, who didn't vote in '10 will be back to vote for Mr. B and they will probably vote a straight ticket thereby maybe taking back the House of Reps.) You need at least one good pistol, a shotgun and maybe an AR or SKS. Well, don't just stand there, man. Get moving!!!

Base522

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Thanks for all of the replies!

Next purchase is the Sig 2022 in 9mm. Then a shotgun, then the rifle.

If anyone knows where to get a good price on the Sig with night sights, please let me know. (I'm in Indy, West side)

Top Bottom