What to do when buying some land just isn't an option?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    No I am sorry but that is NOT a realistic event here in Indiana.
    What , you don't think riots are possible in Indpls ? I like to think we Hoosiers are better than that but human nature doesn't change just cause they change locations .

But all that still doesn't answer the question of what REALISTIC event will cause you to bug out?

Realistically , nobody knows what may come tomorrow . If I were jihad johnny and had a dirty bomb , I'd think one of the PACKED sporting events / conventions downtown would make a pretty good target .

Consider this , I live by Mars Hill (think Deliverance) , a place where you can still see rebel flags flying high . A few blocks away are some projects (insert stereotype) . Slowly but surely , mexicants are encroaching , take a guess how well these groups get along .

In the event of some natural / man made disaster where the police might have their hands full else where , I don't want to be stuck near these idiots when they figure out the cops aren't coming to anyone's rescue .

Come on folks, the concept of running into the woods is really pretty silly.

Says the guy who already has a BOL .

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Collapse of currency has historically NEVER led to a mass exodus. The Weimar Republic, the Antebellum CSA economy, the Soviet Union, contemporary Argentina...
    EXACTLY. Only you said it better than I did.

Under what circumstances--specific examples--would you leave? Let's make it easy: why is it safer to survive in a totally unfamiliar setting than to survive on your home turf?
    The only circumstances that I can foresee are those where my home is actually physically destroyed. Like in a FIRE or TORNADO or NUCLEAR disaster. But assuming that I have some insurance then I'd just move to a hotel while my home is being rebuilt. Even in those nations that are in near collapse they have insurance, they have commerce, they have some order. I'd rather stay home.

What , you don't think riots are possible in Indpls ? I like to think we Hoosiers are better than that but human nature doesn't change just cause they change locations .
    Sure I do, but lets say Broadripple goes up in flames, why would someone on the south side or down town, or any other unaffected area even be affected? And if you live on the block that goes up in flames do you honestly think that it would be better to run into the woods than to simply go to a hotel for 4 days? Seriously when L.A.'s "south central" erupted all was pretty much back to normal a few days later and virtually NOBODY fled their homes.

. . . I live by Mars Hill (think Deliverance) , a place where you can still see rebel flags flying high . A few blocks away are some projects (insert stereotype) . Slowly but surely , mexicants are encroaching , take a guess how well these groups get along .

In the event of some natural / man made disaster where the police might have their hands full else where , I don't want to be stuck near these idiots when they figure out the cops aren't coming to anyone's rescue .
    So you are going total hillbilly and running into the woods to dance with the wolves? Seriously, a week after the "event" things will be calm again. But if you are serious about where you live then you should MOVE to a safer location. Sell your home and move to a different location that will be safer. Seriously. In fact I'm so serious that I have to ask why the heck you are staying there now. Move. You outlined the problem, its wise to be proactive and move.

Says the guy who already has a BOL .
    Uh, no I don't have a BOL. I do have a nice spread just beyond the edge of the suburbs in a semi-rural area.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I have over 400 acres in 3 states, (IN/CO/WI), and never spent more than $2K per acre. Maybe you're not looking very hard.

I've been looking for land since before I bought my first house back in 2004. I'd be more than happy to admit I'm wrong or incompetant at finding good land, and I'll go a step further and say that if you find land land under $2k an acre that I end up buying, I'll happily pay you the difference for every acre I buy. Seriously, as long as I've been looking I'd have no problem with a finders fee. It's just got to be within a 40 minute drive of New Haven by google maps.

rhart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2009
    Avon
    I live in a very safe suburb of all brick homes 30 minutes from Indy. I also am part owner of 72 acres in southern Indiana with a cabin, lake and hunting ground that adjoins several thousand acres of state and federal land. The way I see it after a few weeks of total collapse or whatever situation, all those people in Indianapolis that cant take care of themselves are going out to the suburbs and country to find food. Thats a good reason to want to get out of the area close to a big city. Having land however, is just a part of the solution. Me for example, I have a cabin but it would be hard to defend and wouldnt stop a decent size bullet. My brick house near the city is like a Fort but no hunting or fishing land. I also have a house in a safe part of Mexico but cant take my guns. Life is full of dilemmas. The point is, land isnt the cure all for a SHTF situation

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    Another great depression + oil crisis ala the 70's + hot summer.

Hyper-inflation + large scale (multi-state) natural disaster.

Where is the food and help for Indianapolis going to come from?

Just asking...

YMMV

Last edited:

hickuleas

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Oct 5, 2009
    deep in the woods
    Finding the land you want is much harder than most think. Unlike common belief farm land has not taken the loss of value housing has. A good tool in morgsn county indiana is go to the morgan county goverment website. Look for GIS and this will bring up a map,then you can go to any property and it will show property owners name and address,soil types with acreage and the tax bill.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Collapse of currency has historically NEVER led to a mass exodus. The Weimar Republic, the Antebellum CSA economy, the Soviet Union, contemporary Argentina...

Melensdad is asking a fair question. I have yet to read any realistic scenarios in this post or others. Sure, Eric Rudolph, Ted Kaczynski, and Albert Johnson packed up and left, but are these the guys we want to emulate?

Under what circumstances--specific examples--would you leave? Let's make it easy: why is it safer to survive in a totally unfamiliar setting than to survive on your home turf?

I'm not talking about mass exodus. I'm talking about going to live with people who can help out when the wheels of the economy come to a grinding halt.

The vast majority of the country is operating on a 3 day food supply that is highly dependant on refrigeration and trucking.

When people are faced with starvation they will not act rationally. There will be looting, there will be rioting, there will be theft, rape, and murder. We do not have enough police to contain 300 million people going out of their minds, and there's no guarantee the police will stay on the job.

I'd rather not be near a population center when they get to that point.

My wife's family owns quite a bit of rural land in Hendricks county. If we end up needing to move to one of the farms then I'd just as soon we all be together when the time comes to make that leap.

We are the reserve currency of the world. Who is going to "bail us out" without wrecking their own economy?

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    For the last couple years now I've been steadily increasing my awareness and preparations. The ultimate goal always seems to revolve around getting out of a subdivision and buying some land. I'd prefer to buy at least 5 acres with a house on it, but up near Fort Wayne, you'd never know the economy was bad by looking at the costs of land. It just blows me away when people want over $10K per acre.

Since that's well out of my price range, what's a guy like me to do?

Not to mention that I don't think the economy is stable enough to really get into a larger loan of any kind these days.
    Either move farther out from Town to look at ground?!
    Also, Corn is selling for $7/Bu right now so do NOT look at farmable ground either... ;)
    I'm not trying to be a total smart alec here, but after reading this my only response I could think of is "Really?!?!?!, I mean no kidding, I should go look for cheaper land?!?!? Why didn't I think of that. :dunno:

Got a link to where there's land for sale nearby for $2k per acre or was that just a random number?
    I would LOVE to find Farm Ground for $2K an acre... :D

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    The collapse of our currency is very realistic. As a matter of fact, it's all but guaranteed.

I plan on moving all my preps into ye olde escape and heading to the in-laws house to live. I'm not sticking around in my little ranch surrounded by a bunch of yuppies to watch them eat each other.

My Inlaws are in Germany...
    Not even My Jeep is that Trail worthy...

P.S. It could be entertaining, enlightening, and profitable watching the Neighbors fall into Barbarity... :D

FWShooter

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Agreed. That is very likely. But its happened in other nations and what have you learned from that? I'm not sure moving in with the 'in-laws' is something that is particularly useful.

No I am sorry but that is NOT a realistic event here in Indiana. An uprising in Gary might be, but the population of Gary has shrunk substantially so even a riot there would likely be a "local" event and not a regional one.

Where in Indiana can you go where you are farther than 20 minutes away from other people? If you are camping out on someone else's land you may be confronted by that landowner, ditto sleeping in their barn, warehouse, etc.

But all that still doesn't answer the question of what REALISTIC event will cause you to bug out?

Me, about the only reasons I can come up with are a fire or tornado that takes down my house. As I actually have 2 houses on my property, I'd just move into my guest house if that is still standing. But even if Chicago erupts into civil turmoil I don't see leaving my home.

Currency collapse is not making me flee the safety of my home. Gary, South Bend or Ft Wayne having civil unrest, me I'll just stay home. Flooding of the Ohio, Wabash, Kankakee or any other river, well I live on a hilltop (I choose high ground for a reason!).

Come on folks, the concept of running into the woods is really pretty silly.

Now on the other hand if you want a bit of land so you can be more self-sufficient, you can grow as much as you can possibly eat on just 1 or 2 acres if you intensively garden, use season extending practices, have a greenhouse, etc.

CONSIDER FOLKS for those of you who may own a secluded cabin in the middle of the woods far away from the sight of the road, and you plan to use your own property as your BOL, have you considered that by the time you actually get to your location its possible someone else may have broken in and secured it for themselves? It is a valid thing to consider. If you are desperate enough to leave, then you need to presume that someone else is desperate enough to 'squat' in your property if they beat you too it, and you better bet they will defend 'their' new home from your intrusion!

Something similar happened to my grandparents. They did have a small "cabin" (it was one small room but covered, insulated, and had storage in it) in their woods near train tracks and homeless people would camp in it.

Finally had to tear it down which sucked because it was a cool little place to hang out in.

Top Bottom