What to do with my shotgun empty shells?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    What do you guys do with your empty shotgun shells? :dunno:

When you shoot at the range do you just pick them up and throw them away?

I hope that you pick them up too if you are a hunter, im not a hunter but I have found a few in the woods.That's just trash to me. :noway:

12gaWin.jpg

msd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Princeton
    Brass hulls save until you get a bunch up and sell. Steel hulls throw out. They can't be reloaded. You wont get a bunch out of your brass hulls but, it'll help offset the cost of what you're buying.

Picking up hulls in the woods is good ethics on the part of thhe hunter/shooter. Always had the thought of trying to leave a place in better condition than how I found it.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Brass hulls save until you get a bunch up and sell. Steel hulls throw out. They can't be reloaded. You wont get a bunch out of your brass hulls but, it'll help offset the cost of what you're buying.

Picking up hulls in the woods is good ethics on the part of thhe hunter/shooter. Always had the thought of trying to leave a place in better condition than how I found it.

Do you just save the brass part and sale it as scrap metal and throw away the plastic shell or keep the all thing together?

I pick them up anytime I find spent shells left behind by hunters.
    They must pick most of them up since I dont find that many, they just probably forget a few.

I found a 12 gauge spent shell on the beach once ... for someone reasons. :dunno:

msd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Princeton
    Do you just save the brass part and sale it as scrap metal and throw away the plastic shell or keep the all thing together?

I pick them up anytime I find spent shells left behind by hunters.
    They must pick most of them up since I dont find that many, they just probably forget a few.

I found a 12 gauge spent shell on the beach once ... for someone reasons. :dunno:

No keep the brass with the hulls. You get up a couple hundred advertise on here to sell them, people who reload will be interested in buying them. the steel you could separate and get enough steel up probably scrap with other scrap metal. Most scrappers at least around here wont take stuff like the steel, so you'd have to mix it with other metal.

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    I use them for .22lr plinking targets.

Thats what I do too. Hit them right and they really go flying off the block!

Tmkr and I keep talking about reloading, but nothing yet. We've got a couple of clay target boxes full of hulls, and he says hes got several more worth littered about the property.

top hat 45

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 4, 2008
    northern shelby co.
    if they arent winchester AA hulls, they go in the trash. i reload the AA hulls. i load the red ones in #8 shot, and the gray ones in #7 1/2 shot, that way i know what i have if drop some of them...,..daryll

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Ive heard the low brass hulls are worthless, and like top hat 45 said, Ive heard people only reload the winchester AA hulls. But what about other high brass hulls? Ive got a bunch of slugs and 00 buck that I usually save the hulls from, but they aren't winchester AA. Its a mix of things. Are they worth keeping??

CSORuger

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Brownsburg Indiana
    If you want a lot of empty shotgun shells or brass stop by the Marion County Fish and Game. :D

We have a lot of members who will not pick up there shotgun shells or brass.

When asked, I was told "Because we pay dues someone else can pick them up" Just plain lazyness.:noway:

Some even leave there spent targets on the range. :xmad:

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Now that winchester changed the design from a one piece compression molded hull to a multi piece design, they are not as good as they once were. People who shoot trap and skeet do still reload them. The Remington one piece hulls such as the STS or Nitro 27's sell pretty good at about $40/1000, with the Remington Gun Clubs and Federal Gold Medal hulls in less demand getting about $30/1000. Most of the six piont crimp, discount line hulls have very little value.

Whatever you do, do not leave them lay, at least throw them away where they will not become litter.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Now that winchester changed the design from a one piece compression molded hull to a multi piece design, they are not as good as they once were. People who shoot trap and skeet do still reload them. The Remington one piece hulls such as the STS or Nitro 27's sell pretty good at about $40/1000, with the Remington Gun Clubs and Federal Gold Medal hulls in less demand getting about $30/1000. Most of the six piont crimp, discount line hulls have very little value.

Whatever you do, do not leave them lay, at least throw them away where they will not become litter.

I know I never leave trash behind me, no matter what is it if I brought it with me I take it back home with me.
    Unless you are talking about lead that I sent down range.

I just didn't know if I should pick the shells and throw them away or keep it in a box until I got enough to do something with them (recycle, sell, give away).

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    If you want a lot of empty shotgun shells or brass stop by the Marion County Fish and Game. :D

We have a lot of members who will not pick up there shotgun shells or brass.

When asked, I was told "Because we pay dues someone else can pick them up" Just plain lazyness.:noway:

Some even leave there spent targets on the range. :xmad:

I always pick up my brass at the range, even if I dont take it back with me I at least pick it up and throw it in a barrel that they usually have for this.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Reloading shot shells is not hard. Save your hulls and load them. It's best if you sort them, you might even resort to using only one type for most of your shooting.
    Buy a book on the subject and do some research beforehand. You sound like a person
    who resents waste. You can save plenty by reusing cartridges.

Top Bottom