• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rich8483

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Crown Point - Lake County
    i use those things in my shop for drop lights and tool mounted lights.
    since they do not have a traditional filament, they are far less sensative to vibrations from the tools they are mounted to and when used for a drop light, they put off far less heat than a traditional bulb.
    i then can have the light closer to my face without sweating or burning myself and i can set the light on a rubber,plastic surface or even carpet if im working inside the car.

i have discovered though, at least with the cheaper ones that i buy, the conversion where it says "this bulb is equivalent to a such and such bulb" is a bit optimistic.

also, as far as life length, im not getting any 4 years out of them but maybe a couple weeks, compared to a filament bulb where i was shaking out the filament several times a week.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    People let doctors inject mercury straight into their blood. Seeing people defend the health effects of that, makes it a little silly to me when they are concerned about breaking light bulbs.

Calvin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Bloomington, IN
    I'll probably just continue to snort up the broken ones.
    It's rare that anyone makes me laugh on this forum. That did. Thank you. :)

who here remembers playing with mercury in science class as a kid?
    im not dead yet.

I remember playing with that stuff in Science class. I am very much alive , but I frequently do really stupid s**t looking back immediately afterwards to wonder why in the h*ll I thought that would work. I blame the mercury.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    who here remembers playing with mercury in science class as a kid?

im not dead yet.

Science class? Nope. On the kitchen counter :rockwoot: I used to love when a thermometer broke because I could play with it. And my grandpa had a bottle of it on the shelf in the kitchen he would let me mess around with once in a while. And since I'm not a chicago voter I think I'm still alive

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    I only have 3 candescent bulbs left in the house, and those are in a light hanging in the foyer that's on maybe 1 or twice a month.

I started switching over to CFL's about 10 years ago for lights in the house, and never looked back. It's nice to see a 40% or more drop on your electric bill on non heating/cooling months because of the less power used.

Now I do still have 2 lights outside that are not CFL's, but that's because of the shear wattage needed. But the other 8 outside lights (6 which are on from dusk to dawn) are all CFL's and I've only had to change 3 over the last 4 years.

Just within the last month have I bought replacement 13/26/40 (60/100/200) watt cfl's that was on sale because I figure they're reaching the end of their life expectancy soon.

I recommend the Feit Electric brand, top notch in my books.:yesway:

Top Bottom