• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    I got home last night about 9:15PM, driving down my street I had seen 4 Sherriff's vehicles (didn't think much of it), pulled into the driveway, opened the garaged and walked in. I have a couple cats so as I walked through the door into the house I looked up and there was a Deputy in front of me. WTH? Wife and daughter were in the dining room and wife's license was on the counter. The Deputy's first comment was "She filed a complaint about you mistreating her". My response was quick and serious when I said, "That's not funny." He meant in humor, I see no humor in it especially since we are in the middle of a no-contest divorce (he probably didn't know anyways).

But, short version-4 cars, 6 deputies were there looking for her brother that had used my address when he moved to Indiana. Wife had informed them that he was in Texas. That had an arrest warrant and asked if they could search before I made it home (house is in my name only if it matters). She allowed them to search which I have nothing to hide, anyways. After there search and freaking out my anxiety-paranoid-freaked out cat, they were getting ready to leave and made a comment (paraphrasing now) that they would be keeping an eye on the house and they will be back.

I am a law-abiding citizen with the occasional speed limit violation, but this seems ridiculous. He's not in the state, I have no number for him or address, but I feel like I'm being treated like the criminal. If this stops my LTCH permit I will be pissed. And to top it all off, my teenage daughter is freaked out, got to bed late, and something just feels wrong. He owes me money and is not welcome here. I do not associate with him whatsoever.

If they do show up again, when does it become harassment? What happens when divorce is final, wife moves out, they show up when my daughter is home but no adult? Anyone have a link to this section of state laws?

FWIW, I believe it is drug charges and failure to appear that necessitated the arrest warrant.

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    Dude, that sucks. You have the BIL from hell.

What is the warrant for?

FWIW, I believe it is drug charges and failure to appear that necessitated the arrest warrant.

@85T, just be cool. It was one visit. They don't know that you're not lying and they have a warrant to arrest a person who's legal address happens to be your house.

Bad move letting him use your address IMO but the past is the past.

Best of luck in all your tribulations! Sounds like you've got a lot on your plate right now.

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    Bad move letting him use your address IMO but the past is the past.
    Yeah, I didn't know he did. I never saw mail for him, either. But, it is what it is. I just don't want to be harassed in the future or them kicking the door in on my daughter when shes home alone.
    I have the respect for them doing there job and wish them the best, but he IS in Texas. I hope they catch him and transfer because he really is a worthless sack of skin.
    And, IF I had contact info or address, I would gladly turn it over to them. IF he showed up, I would call the police, too. But, they didn't seem to care. I have a problem being called a liar or even insinuating it. We'll c if they show up again. If so, I will call and politely explain they are barking up the wrong tree.

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    Yeah, I didn't know he did. I never saw mail for him, either. But, it is what it is. I just don't want to be harassed in the future or them kicking the door in on my daughter when shes home alone.
    I have the respect for them doing there job and wish them the best, but he IS in Texas. I hope they catch him and transfer because he really is a worthless sack of skin.
    And, IF I had contact info or address, I would gladly turn it over to them. IF he showed up, I would call the police, too. But, they didn't seem to care. I have a problem being called a liar or even insinuating it. We'll c if they show up again. If so, I will call and politely explain they are barking up the wrong tree.

How did he setup your address then as a legal address? You have to show proof of residency or have the resident provide their proof and sign a form stating that you live there as well.

Did your wife do this maybe without telling you?

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Consider getting off the grid for a while, maybe head to the mountains. Those cops think you are harboring a drug offender and are liable to serve you a no-knock warrant to try and catch him. Just grab your bugout bag and go.

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    as much as I hate to say it Rambone is on the right path. I'm not saying it will happen. but the the SWAT team gets itchy they could decide to search you place and play with their toys.

That Suck's about your BIL. I would talk to the wife/in-laws and do a little snooping. If she knows he's in texas she might know where.:twocents:

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    the sad thing is that if ANYONE who is inside the residence when the cops knock invites them in they are coming in and its legal. In my "younger" underage days when we would have parties thats the first thing everyone knew with certainty was that only I or my friend would answer the door for ANYONE! because if it was the cops they werent even getting a peak in the door.

If it was the sherriff they probly dont have the man power to watch your house 24/7. not to mention their "hunch" isnt gonna give them probable cause for a search warrant most likely. sucks your brother in law put you in this spot.
    I wouldnt read too much into the joking part. thats just a lot of cops for you. I have friends who Ive seen do it too. just goes with the job i guess. plus you wouldnt believe all the idiots that will admit to stuff even when they were just joking, so I think its part of the plan too.
    your not gonna get anywhere filing harassment against the cops. they will always find a loophole and then they will probly just **** with you after that. who knows.

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    How did he setup your address then as a legal address? You have to show proof of residency or have the resident provide their proof and sign a form stating that you live there as well.

Did your wife do this maybe without telling you?
    Darn good question, BUT I have never been asked for proof or anything when I left my parents, moved to Michigan, moved back to Indy, moved around a few times. Never. Just fill out a card and send it in. Now u can do it online and pay $1.00 to do their job. Strange.

And as for going to the mountains-we are in Indiana, I don't think we have mountains. We do have lots of country, though. But, I am not gonna remove my daughter from school for it-that would be a crime, too. I'll discuss it with her and make sure understands not to answer the door for the cops without calling me first. And if they break down the frickin door then stand in the middle of the room with hands in the air. Oh, and still call me. Too many movies? Maybe.

Like I said, they were polite, but I am not the criminal and I feel that I deserve a little respect for that. If I knew where he was, I'd tell them. As much as I don't want to pay to feed him in jail or extradite him, he belongs in the pokey.:popcorn:

No dogs, either. We have allergies to them but not cats. I was thinking a tiger or 2. So, how do I get that permit again? Will the Zoo notice them missing? Maybe if I call Slash he will send a couple my way.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom