What to look for with a new Century AK-74?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Oliver08

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Grant county,IN
    I think I have changed my mind and I'm going to get a AK-74 instead of an AK-47. What are the common problems with the Century 74's? Same as the 47's? And are they about the same functionally? Thanks.

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    As with any AK, just for anything canted(it's not a big deal though). But more than anything look for AMMO!!!! Cause they are a blast!!!

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    My understanding is that the issues are the same for both.

As Gamez said, get ammo and mags; Russian 5.45x39 53grn FMJ 1080rd Can

and

Surplus 30rd AK74 5.45x39 Magazines are both good deals.

Then get https://www.apexgunparts.com/product_info.php/cPath/21_79/products_id/1208 and refinish it, and you get this:
    DSCF0424.jpg

:rockwoot::ingo:

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Something other than a century if you want a 74... You can see a canted sight post, you can't see the keyholing until you start shooting it. Centuries 1 year warranty starts the day the rifle leaves their facilities. Which means if it sits on your dealers rack for 364 days, you buy it on day 365 and then shoot it the next day, you are out of warranty, even though you've had the gun for only 24 hours.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2ByJyDM1DA]YouTube - Review: CAI Polish Tantal Part II[/ame]
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0J5n4lkKwQ]YouTube - Review: Defective Century Tantal Update[/ame]

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    Centuries 1 year warranty starts the day the rifle leaves their facilities. Which means if it sits on your dealers rack for 364 days, you buy it on day 365 and then shoot it the next day, you are out of warranty, even though you've had the gun for only 24 hours.

You are correct. I went and read their warranty after you mentioned it in another post... WTF!!!! But there it is, in black and white, right on their own page. I'm glad I got a good one but you're right, and I can't see keyholing in the shop either.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Everyone knows that the Century keyholing issue was/is a BIG deal with the Polish Tantal rifles...

But has it ever been documented that the AK-74 rifles have the same issue??

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    I just emailed their corporate office this:

"Given that your warranty begins the day one of your firearms leaves your warehouse, what is the best method for the consumer to determine on what date that occurred? My gun store can tell me when they received the rifle, but they advised me that it may have been in their distributors possession for a considerable amount of time. Any help would be appreciated!"

Think I'll get a response? :rolleyes:

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    Those videos illustrate the problems I have heard a lot about.

He said it was canted, but showing how canted it was... That is just bad...

The key-holing is a serious issue but canted front sights are not a big deal, usually all it takes is a couple of wacks with a plastic or rawhide mallet to straighten up a canted front sight post.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    I just emailed their corporate office this:

"Given that your warranty begins the day one of your firearms leaves your warehouse, what is the best method for the consumer to determine on what date that occurred? My gun store can tell me when they received the rifle, but they advised me that it may have been in their distributors possession for a considerable amount of time. Any help would be appreciated!"

Think I'll get a response? :rolleyes:

I got a quick response:

"If you provide me with the serial number, I can provide you with the time that it was sold.

Chris Schacht [cschacht@centuryarms.com] "

My response:

"Thanks for the quick response; I’ll write down a few numbers as long as the store is OK with it."

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    It is not just the Tantals that suffer from improperly sized bores. I've read many reports from people on AR15.com, AKFiles, etc. where their CAI 5.45x39 non-Tantal rifles have problems. Either keyholing or in one case, no riflings in the barrel at all. Not faint riflings, but none.

Many report that with mil-surp 53gr Russian ammo they experience keyholing but report with heavier 60gr or 70gr ammo they don't see keyholing. That tells me that their barrel isn't properly sized or has the incorrect twist rate. Either way it's not right.

A quality rifle like the Interarm AK74's aren't much more expensive and have high quality Green Mountain chrome lined barrels. I would spent an extra $100 and get a rifle that will last a lifetime vs. something that may or may not work a couple of years and a few thousands rounds down the road.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Everyone knows that the Century keyholing issue was/is a BIG deal with the Polish Tantal rifles...

But has it ever been documented that the AK-74 rifles have the same issue??

It is not just the Tantals that suffer from improperly sized bores. I've read many reports from people on AR15.com, AKFiles, etc. where their CAI 5.45x39 non-Tantal rifles have problems. Either keyholing or in one case, no riflings in the barrel at all. Not faint riflings, but none.

Many report that with mil-surp 53gr Russian ammo they experience keyholing but report with heavier 60gr or 70gr ammo they don't see keyholing. That tells me that their barrel isn't properly sized or has the incorrect twist rate. Either way it's not right.

A quality rifle like the Interarm AK74's aren't much more expensive and have high quality Green Mountain chrome lined barrels. I would spent an extra $100 and get a rifle that will last a lifetime vs. something that may or may not work a couple of years and a few thousands rounds down the road.

Thanks for answering my questions, FA! I appreciate it.

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    Any time.

I'm not saying never buy a Century product, just go into it with the understanding that no matter how nice the rifle looks in person it can have flaws that only shooting it will uncover. Couple this with their warranty, or lack thereof, and all I can say is be very-very cautious.

I bought a Century Draco after this fiasco started (I was waiting for my replacement rifle) and am very happy with it. Of course I knew that the gun was built in Romania and not by Century, which was a little more comforting.

Also, if you see a Century made rifle you're interested in (I never recommend buying them sight unseen) just check the tag on the trigger. All new Century rifles will have this tag through the trigger guard. The date of manufacture should be on this slip. It will give you an idea how much warranty you will have left on it.

Even then, know that Century customer service ranges from bad to acceptable. My experience was on the bad side. I had to basically harass them to get them to do anything to help me. Even then, they replaced my defective rifle with another one that needed service and they made it clear they weren't doing anything to warranty or otherwise service the replacement.

Live and learn. But I hope other gun buyers learn from my experience without having to endure the time consuming indignity of dealing with Century's customer service department.

Top Bottom