• ...and so much more!
  • 88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I've been wanting to do a build on a 1911 for a while and will probably get off of my kiester and do it in 2014. My goals will be to build a good target pistol, but nothing really over the top. What I'd like to end up with is a blued steel frame 1911 with match grade components, an extended thumb safety and a beaver tail grip safety. Sights will probably be cut with Novak cuts to allow options down the road. Like I said, nothing overly wild, but just a good solid 1911.

I don't want to simply buy this gun, but would like to build it myself. In the past, I've rebarrelled a 1911 and have fitted several extended thumb safeties as well as tuned triggers successfully. I have not fitted a grip safety yet, but think I have the skill and patience to do so.

The big question right now is what to start with. The most likely candidate of the 1911s I own is a Springfield pre-Mil Spec 1911. This gun came before the current Mil-Spec or GI versions and has an NM serial number. My main concern with this is that I've read that it has an odd grip safety radius and can either be tough to fit or requires a specific style grip safety. I'm not a fan of the angled slide serrations but could live with them. This gun is currently on consignment at a local shop but has not moved in a while. If I end up bringing it home, would it make a decent place to start?

Or, is it better to sell the Springer and instead order a Caspian frame and fitted slide and build from scratch? Is it generally cheaper to start a build with an existing complete firearm or just start new with quality components? On the side of starting with the Springer is the fact that I know this gun works. It's been a great gun and works well, so there are no questions about whether or not the frame has been machined right, or if the slide was fitted correctly.

What say the INGO 1911 crowds? Is it better to build from scratch, modify what you already have or would it be best to dispense with this whole idea and just scratch the itch for a blue steel 1911 by finding an original early Colt?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Hard to say. I usually buy something that is a beater and run it through the tools and parts until it is what I desire. Then after running it a while, sell it off and start again. Just me.

If your mil-spec does not have the odd radius then hone your skills on it. As you said, it is a proven piece and only needs some love to put it right.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Fusion makes has some really nice 1911 parts from what I understand but I would contact AllenM. I know he's built a few from Fusion parts and would have some real world experience in that area if you want to do one from all new parts.

[FONT=&quot]NRA Life Member-- [/FONT][FONT=&quot]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]Gunsite graduate[FONT=&quot] --[/FONT]Certified Glock armorer[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]NRA Certified pistol instructor[FONT=&quot] --[/FONT]1911 Mechanic[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Fusion makes has some really nice 1911 parts from what I understand but I would contact AllenM. I know he's built a few from Fusion parts and would have some real world experience in that area if you want to do one from all new parts.

Great recommendation....my thoughts exactly! Fusion does make some quality parts...and I think it would be a great starting point for a 1911 build! I've been wanting to do their 6" 10mm...I think that would be really fun when it's done! Check them out at Fusion Firearms

Have a great day!

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    Caspian has good parts. I used one of their ss 1911 receivers to replace a colt receiver that had developed cracks. There was some fitting to be done but I was able to do it without machine tools. Fine shooter - goes to the range with me every time I go.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Great recommendation....my thoughts exactly! Fusion does make some quality parts...and I think it would be a great starting point for a 1911 build! I've been wanting to do their 6" 10mm...I think that would be really fun when it's done! Check them out at Fusion Firearms

Have a great day!

From what I have heard from Allen Fusion is taking a lot of time to get parts out to him. Great pieces but slow.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Forget Fusion, it is good stuff but expensive and as someone said long wait times now. Just call Remsport in MA (check their facebook page) they supply the frames/slides to most of the big custom gunmakers who put their names on them, Fusion included. You can get frames/slides with almost every machining option done for around 400.00. What he does is sell overruns from other gunmakers orders so you needto call and see what he has on hand. As for the SPFD you would have to order a .220 beavertail jig and a safety from S&A and you would be fine, easy to fit as well.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Thanks guys. Lots to consider. It sounds like the Springfield will make a good starting point if it does not sell and if it does, there are lots of options out there.

partyboy6686

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    Indianapolis
    From what I have heard from Allen Fusion is taking a lot of time to get parts out to him. Great pieces but slow.

Not only are they taking a long time to get parts from, but they cant even get your order right. I ordered parts online from there website (extended slide stop & adjustable trijicon novak sights) and paid for express shipping. Got my package in the mail today. Extended slide stop was in the package but no sights. But my card was charged the full amount. Still waiting to hear back from Fusion to see what excuse they will give me for not sending my $160 sights I paid for.

Top Bottom