• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    I'm always on the lookout for a deal. I figured a revolver or shotgun wouldn't be all that tricky to buy used, i'd be a little more cautious of a semi-auto, unless i knew the seller. But recently, I've read of problems (FTF) even with revolvers. I try to research most of the makes/models that interest me, but that surely won't make me an expert! So at a gun show, or buying from a private party, how can i lessen the odds of getting a lemon?

Last edited:

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Get and read the latest edtion of the "Blue book". Good place to start, there are a few models like for example Benelli, the early models are not a good one. It talks about the H&R's just being a "purpose gun" and that's it. With some of the early models not having much value beyond a useful gun.

Google the gun in question you'd be surprised at the forums out there with folks wanting to talk about there interests.

After that condition tells a lot about a gun and its owner. Some models are just lemon to begin with.

Me, I need to get with someone about lock-up and fit for revolvers, more concerned about them than auto's. Just because they say it's good doesn't make it true.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN

Shibby575

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2011
    NE IN
    Condition, I try talking to the person on the phone ( to alleviate any misunderstanding up front), quality firearms manufacturers. Generally these are big for internet sales and roll over to FTF deals. If you buy the big names usually their CS is awesome and will take care of almost anything with the exception of negligent abuse. So you can pretty much buy worry free short of the condition that the weapon was kept it. I try to see if there is any surface corrosion, and bore condition, and if you can find out the round count. These are all good indicators of the way it has been kept up.

Walt_Jabsco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Yeah, like a couple of people have said, I'd be a lot more paranoid about buying a used revolver than a semi-auto.

If the timing is far enough off on a revolver, you could blow yourself up. Worst case with a semi auto you get misfeeds.

jim7310

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2010
    Westfield
    There is no substitute for test firing if at all possible. Obviously not practical at a gun show, but defiantly possible with a private sale. If I am going to invest hundreds of dollars in purchasing a gun from a private seller I don't know (or even do know!), I consider the cost of an hour of indoor range time to be cheap insurance. If a serious buyer asked me to meet him at a range near my house so he could test fire - would have no problems with it. One shop I used to buy from in MN had a 50 yd range behind the shop so buyers could test fire used guns. Not practical for all sales, but when possible....

rgarner74

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2011
    Do people really come across bad guns????
    How about dry firing? will this help answer some questions, is dry firing reqlly that bad onthe firing pin?

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    Do people really come across bad guns????
    How about dry firing? will this help answer some questions, is dry firing reqlly that bad onthe firing pin?

I'm of the opinion it can be very bad on the firing pin, and it can be bad on the breech face of rimfire firearms. Some will say it doesn't hurt, but for a couple of dollars why risk an expensive gun?

Whatever works for ya

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    Timing

Make sure that the gun's timing is not off. On a revolver the cylinder must lock up before the hammer falls, on a lever rifle if the timing is off it will not lift the next shell from the magazine to the chamber.

sharpetop

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Also be aware that some gun manufacturers have rebates or include accessories, etc. on new guns. You don't want to buy a used gun and could buy the same gun new for the same price including a rebate. My .02!

Top Bottom