• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lnholmes

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    West Lafayette/Wabash
    New to the forum but I figured this would be a good first post. I just picked up completed DPMS lower this past weekend for a decent price, I would like to know one's opinion on what upper I should use/get. I'm leaning towards carbine/mid-length as most of my shooting will be under 200yds. Preferably a completed upper. I will be accessorizing it later down the road as well. My price ceiling around 550-600. Any information would be awesome. Thanks

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    16" barrel?

How will you be using this gun? Plinking? Home/property/self-defense? Varmint hunting?

Will you be using a red dot optic? Iron sights only? Variable power scope?

Given your fairly general terms thus far, I'd look at BCM, DD, or Spike's Tactical (will probably have to wait to get Spike's right now).

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-BFH-16-Mid-Length-Upper-Receiver-Group-p/bcm-urg-mid-16%20bfh.htm

http://www.pkfirearms.com/Daniel_Defense_Custom_Uppers/156/c

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.a.../.223+Upper+Receiver&groupid=301&search=upper

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.a.../.223+Upper+Receiver&groupid=301&search=upper

And :welcome: to :ingo:

Last edited:

lnholmes

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    West Lafayette/Wabash
    Most just target shooting/plinking for now since it's my first AR. Barrel length I'd like to keep in the 16-20'' range. I use my Mossberg and XD for home defense so I feel pretty safe there.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Most just target shooting/plinking for now since it's my first AR.
    I use my Mossberg and XD for home defense so I feel pretty safe there.

If that's the case, and you're not looking for a "serious, hard-use" gun, you could get away with something less expensive than those I listed above.

R Guns Complete M4 5.56/.223 Upper Half

Barrel length I'd like to keep in the 16-20'' range.

Unless you're looking for a very specific type of varmint/bull-barreled gun, I'd stick with 16". This will keep it legal, handy, and you don't really sacrifice accuracy if you're not shooting out past 300 yards.

frogman342

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2011
    You can get a decent upper for that price. I suggest a carbine length gas system with a 16 inch barrel. They are great out to 200 and there are tons of accessories to dress it up with down the road. Spikes Tactical, Bravo Company USA, Yankee Hill Machine, DSA, Aim Surplus, Stag Arms(one of the oldest manufacturers in the US), DPMS and Rock River Arms are all good places to look for an Upper.

frogman342

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2011
    Spikes Tactical

I build AR's and I buy a lot of stuff from Spikes Tactical. They are top notch. I suggest giving them a call and they will let you know what they have in stock. They always ship quickly and e-mail tracking numbers.

I really like the Spike's Tactical, have any ideas on the wait time for them?

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I really like the Spike's Tactical, have any ideas on the wait time for them?

Their recent lag is due to the overwhelming popularity of their new M4 and mid-length complete guns. They can't get 'em out fast enough.

You can call and they *might* give you an estimate, but I'd guess 8-10 weeks.

GARANDGUY

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2010
    SOUTHERN INDIANA
    Im glad I bought 4 of those Spikes Uppers about 6 months ago when I started planning builds! I have 2 left with i think 40-60 rounds for sight in and function check,a few reload drills on them but I have one with about 1000 down it and never had a problem! Customer service really sucks and they charged my account for rifles I never bought but if you can get them from a dealer and not them directly then they are definitely worth it! The one with about 1000 rounds has NEVER given the first sign of any problems!
    For a cheaper one DSArms has some for 275 I think. Would serve your purpose.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jstan
    Top Bottom