• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    I agree with what you did maybe not the conversation afterwards with the owner but I wasn’t there.

I disagree with fighting a dog lol no thanks been attacked before could I win? Probably…. Would I get bit in the process? likely…. No thanks.

I do have pepper spray for the “between a harsh word and a gun” ASP fans but if the pepper spray didn’t work would make you slower on the gun.

yeahbaby

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Portage
    I agree with what you did maybe not the conversation afterwards with the owner but I wasn’t there.

I disagree with fighting a dog lol no thanks been attacked before could I win? Probably…. Would I get bit in the process? likely…. No thanks.

I do have pepper spray for the “between a harsh word and a gun” ASP fans but if the pepper spray didn’t work would make you slower on the gun.
    Yep, no fighting a dog for me if at all possible. Here's the thing. If the owner is that irresponsible, he probably does not have the dog up to date on shots. Getting bit by a dog is one thing. Getting bit by a dog that's not up to date on it's shots. That presents a whole lot of other medical issues.

flint stonez

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 17, 2024
    S/E Indiana
    Sorry I cant respond to all the post but I do appreciate each and every one.
    Guess I’m somewhat confused by folks pushing back concerning my comments to the dogs owner. Personally I thought it fair to warn him that I was done with his dog terrorizing the neighborhood l. And that next time he jumped the fence and comes on my property (where my, children and smaller dogs are present) I would do what I had to do. For folks that have an problem with me issuing him a warning, what would you have done differently?

flint stonez

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 17, 2024
    S/E Indiana
    One more thing I’d like to address is the idea of “fighting a dog”. As someone who has been bitten more than once I Am Not taking on a dog in a “fair fight”. I am Not a dog whisperer and don’t know what they are thinking. When a dog rushes me growling barking and showing its teeth I can only assume it doesn’t want its belly rubbed. A little dog put a serious hurting on me a while back. They are quicker than we are and unpredictable when in attack mode. To wrestle the specific dog I’m referring to here would have at best led to serious injury and to be honest my life (or that of my wife, children, my gentle dogs) is more important than a known violent dog.
    While in a perfect world the less lethal options could be helpful I personally want to stop the dogs attack the first try. Pepper spray is a great idea but isn’t 100% effective. Meeting violence with equal or greater threat of violence tends to be effective. Even law enforcement can respond with greater force if attacked. If a bad guy comes at a police officer with a knife the officer is well within their rights and duty to respond with deadly force. Could pepper spray have stopped the knife wielding psycho? Maybe. Could a taser have worked? Maybe. Could some other less lethal response? Again - maybe. But there is one option that seems to be more effective than any other. And that’s why police carry firearms. Police (like me in the situation with the dangerous dog) do NOT go looking for trouble but instead are prepared to react to it.

10mm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2024
    Greencastle
    Sorry I cant respond to all the post but I do appreciate each and every one.
    Guess I’m somewhat confused by folks pushing back concerning my comments to the dogs owner. Personally I thought it fair to warn him that I was done with his dog terrorizing the neighborhood l. And that next time he jumped the fence and comes on my property (where my, children and smaller dogs are present) I would do what I had to do. For folks that have an problem with me issuing him a warning, what would you have done differently?
    I actually think being civil in that case was more than fair. Giving a warning that you view the dog as dangerous and that it won't get a second chance to be dangerous again is reasonable, at least as far as pets go. That's something called a reasonable good faith effort that any decent lawyer should spin favorably. It's the same as the ammunition choice argument as far as the scummy prosecutor is concerned. I.e. if you use hollow points you were intending to kill whatever you were shooting or if you use fmj you would be recklessly endangering the public beyond the intended target because of penetration etc etc.
    Just a thought: I have now represented five different clients who were charged with a felony (Criminal Recklessness with a Deadly Weapon) after they shot (or shot at) an aggressive dog in a residential area. Police and prosecutors took the position that the shot endangered others nearby - and/or in nearby homes. Not one of these folks was convicted, but they were all arrested and had to hire a lawyer.

That's one reason why the folks here suggesting a "less lethal" option (e.g., OC spray or a striking weapon) are giving excellent advice. My wife and I bicycle and walk quite often- and I always carry a collapsible baton and OC spray in addition to my EDC firearm.

Guy
    This is part of the reason I try to live far away from people. No offense to lawyers etc, but I find rabid aggressive four legged animals far less dangerous than the general public and the legal system.

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    I walk my dogs every day. My CM9 is usually in my pocket. Maybe once or twice a month I get charged by another dog. My girls are reasonably protective, and at 124 and 104 pounds, they are a tad intimidating. My policy is, "Blood before bullets." If someone's dog draws blood (heavily) on my dogs or me, I will be possessed to fire. Not until. I have put my hand on the CM9 once or twice; I have never gotten it out of my pocket. Human predators in the same predicament would be treated way differently.

Top Bottom