• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Saiga223

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I think I want my next rifle to be a M1 Carbine, but I am noticing a very broad price range for them. I have seen them as low as $450 to $500 and as high as $1500! What gives?

thoffman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2010
    Muncie
    the 400 dollar ones are not original war pieces. "fakes" if you will. around 600 os the normal price for a good m1 carbine. i think dunhams might have them cheaper. 550 or 600 but there pretty beat up.

Flintlock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    Southeastern Indiana
    I think what thoffman is trying to say is the $400 carbines are not USGI--if you want a real USGI, which I assume you do (much higher quality, history, etc) make sure you look up the contractors who made them and purchase one of those. Now that the CMP is out of carbines, they are harder to find and prices have gone up a bit. You used to be able to get a nice one from the CMP for around $500, but not anymore. Keep an eye out and depending on condition expect to pay $500-$700. Carbines with early features will sell for more. YOu might get lucky and score a deal for less than that though.

thoffman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2010
    Muncie
    I think what thoffman is trying to say is the $400 carbines are not USGI--if you want a real USGI, which I assume you do (much higher quality, history, etc) make sure you look up the contractors who made them and purchase one of those. Now that the CMP is out of carbines, they are harder to find and prices have gone up a bit. You used to be able to get a nice one from the CMP for around $500, but not anymore. Keep an eye out and depending on condition expect to pay $500-$700. Carbines with early features will sell for more. YOu might get lucky and score a deal for less than that though.

thats exactly what i meant just couldnt think of the words.......get outa my head!:runaway:

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    Why would a $400 carbine not be USGI, I don't believe there is mandatory minimum price set buy any governing body. However for $400 you can expect more wear to the throat and muzzle, more dings to the stock, etc. Most M1 carbines were revamped with new sights. re-parkerized, etc during the Korean Conflict. A $1500 carbine will be original as issued in the 40's with all correct parts.

As the CMP is out of the carbine business for the time being and if you want a shooter I would go the middle price and consider a new manufacture M1 from Auto-Ordnance (these are made by Kahr)

Last edited:

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    USGI carbines are often described as having "early war" or "late war" features. Early war carbines had a simple flip style two position rear sight, no bayonet lug and a push button safety. Late war have a bayo lug, adjustable rear sight and a lever type safety. USGI guns have forged receivers vs cast on repro guns. Bolts were flat early and changed to round as well. A fellow named Charles Hadley in Maine is a dealer in classic American firearms and usually has a few M1 carbines and at very good prices for the condition of gun. I've never bought an M1 from him but have gotten a Smith or two over the years and can attest to his honesty and the quality of his wares. He advertises in Gun Digest ,the magazine, a publication which used to be a large newsprint magazine( like Shotgun News) but now is a standard size glossy cover . Available at WW ,this is Hadley's venue and his ads are seen primarily in Colt, Smith ,Winchester and the Military Firearms(#6200 ) classifications. Very good place to start looking if you're after a nice gun at the best possible price. His ph # is 207-741-2655

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    I think the last of the Service Grade CMP Carbines were around 695.00, You'll just have to shop around...check the CMP forums for Carbines on sale by members...this will give you an idea what they are running for certain types an conditions. I bought a really nice Inland Carbine in excellent shape with original barrel, 6 digit s/n from Nov. 1942 for 488.00 at a gunshow this year, MW was only 1.5. Shoots great. I got a deal on that one I believe.

Top Bottom