• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Marc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    District 6
    whats a good shot for waterfowl. i was looking at #2 and #4 and was wondering what you would recommend. im using a charles daily semi auto 2 3/4 -3 with a mod choke.

66chevelle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    greenfield
    DNR put on a waterfowl class a few weeks ago that I attended and they highly recommended buying black cloud ammo and if you cant afford that then get non corrosive BB's. They said #2 will work for some birds but BB's work better for all. Just some more info if you want it they also said they like to use the biggest shell they can so if you can shoot 3 inch then buy 3 inch rounds and they recommended a full choke but I think that is more about shot placement. Hope this help you.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I use #4 for early season decoy hunting as you get more woodies and teal in, you also get closer shots. After that I use #2 for ducks. I use BB when goose hunting.

Marc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    District 6
    awesome, thanks for the info, im using a lead mod choke and isnt that equivalent to a steel full choke when i put steel shot down the pipe

bonzaiberger

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Milan
    +1 I agree with Expat. Early season I use my Rem1100 with 2 3/4 #2s and #4s and a mod choke, it's not a magnum gun so I have to use 2 3/4 but I only use loads that shoot over 1400fps to make up for the light load. Late season duck and goose I use a BPS 10ga 3 1/2 #2s and BBs, choke depends on where I'm hunting. Blackcloud is great ammo, I use Rem sportsman Hi-speed steel most of the time because of the price and performace. I used to use the cheap winchester stuff from walmart untill I was told to cut one open and compare the shot, it looked like they swept the floor of a metal shop and dumped it in the shell! That also explained why it would take so many shots to drop a bird. BTW, I have dropped a goose with one 2 3/4 #4 so that tells me that shot placement(and luck;)) have the most to do with it. Welcome to your new addiction!:yesway:

Marc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    District 6
    would 12ga 3" black cloud BB ok round to use and would it be ok to put through through a lead mod choke for late season goose?

Last edited:

Mitch B

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2010
    indiana
    I use #4 for early season decoy hunting as you get more woodies and teal in, you also get closer shots. After that I use #2 for ducks. I use BB when goose hunting.

This ^^! Every gun patterns differently with different shells. I use Kent faststeel it patters better in my gun then most other loads. I have open an xpert shell and yes they do look like nerds but the black cloud flight stopper is basically the same thing. Try different shells in your gun and find the shells that patterns the best for your shotgun.

Late season honkers I would not use anything less than BBB's they get tuffer as the weather gets colder.

Good luck this year!

birdslayer

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 10, 2011
    Walkerton
    +1 from Mitch try to use Number 2's or BB Differnet chokes, for different strokes. Get yourself a good STEEL Rated choke Ported,Extended its up to you.. Practice at the range your decoys are and get use to that range and pattern your gun! using different shells Its all about practice and placement...40yds or so with a full choke is a solid shot...Good luck.

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    i shot my first ever animal, a green wing teal hen, a few weeks ago with a #2 blackcloud 3" and improved cylinder; perfectly clean kill. I shoulda doubled up though, cause she was flying behind another teal, but since it was my first kill i was oddly nervous/anxious and i watched her hit the water and was too slow on the second shot and missed her friend.

Oh well she was a great looking teal and i took her wing as a trophy :D

So yeah #2 blackclouds work, enough spread to hit a teal at about 25yds or so but still big enough for mallards and what not.

Top Bottom