• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I just went out to the garage to get my old "D" cell powered white light flash type trail cameras and I think they had their last season. I opened them up and all the connections were rusty. In hindsight I shouldn't have had them in the attic, but I've had these for at least a half dozen years.

With that said, I'm completely out of date with trail cameras and what they can do.

What features do I want in a new one?

What battery type?

What memory card type, if that's even how they work now.

I know a lot of this depends on budget and I'd like to keep it under $100, but I can see spending more if I thought it was worth it.

Thanks for the help!

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    We have five of the Stealth cam G42NG cameras. They are infrared/blacked out with no glow...no flash or anything that lights up on them.

https://www.amazon.com/Stealth-Cam-No-Glo-Camera-STC-G42NG/dp/B00HMN7H04

I leave them out 24/7 year round because I also use them for security cameras in my driveway so I can see who has been here when I am not home. It takes a clear enough daytime picture that I can read the license plates on the vehicles. I use Lithium batteries and they last about 6 months unless it is extremely cold weather. Even then, they last far longer than regular alkaline batteries that die after a few days. I use speed 10 SD cards. I have 32GB cards, but that may be bigger than I really need. I like these cameras because they will take video clips (uses more battery power) or a burst of photos, and I get a better idea of what is out there since I don't have to wait for it to be triggered again. Time between pictures is less using the photo burst and it captures the animals as they are passing through much better.

I have found that placing the cameras lower to the ground yields far more/better photos as it is more readily triggered in that position.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Thanks for the awesome advice. After reading all that I bought 2. Hopefully I'll have ever something to add to the 2016 trail camera thread soon!

Top Bottom