• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shotbyspike

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Sellersburg
    I am having a heck of a time finding a tire store that doesn't have someone come by and pick up their scrap wheel weights. I guess there is quite a market for scrap in this bad economy.

GSPBirdDog

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Henryville
    I have ran into the same problem.....but what i have found is that its not scrappers or reloaders coming to get the wheel weights....Its those damn fishermen using them for lead fishing weights and lures!!:D:noway::draw:

Jarel

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2011
    I have been casting for over 30 years. WW are getting harder to get all the time. Many tire shops in my area won't sell them at all. They claim that they recycle them through a single person/business and won't sell them to the public. Again they claim that lead is toxic and don't want the liability. BS in my book but they own the WW. Next is the problem that lead WW are becoming a thing of the past. California won't allow there use and all the car makers use only zinc or steel now. My guess is in 5 years it will be hard to get a bucket of WW that have very many made out of lead in them. I am cutting back some on my shooting just so I don't run out in another decade. I had over a ton about 10 years ago and shot it all up. I have now got over 1 1/2 tons of clean WW and would like to see it out last me.

noylj

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2011
    I have almost given up. All I see are LOTS of "green" weights and few lead. Lots of steel and zinc, apparently.
    Write to the EPA and tell them that you feel a lot safer that those lead weights are being banned, if they aren't already.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Go to the scrap yard and negotiate the best deal you can. I'm looking for lead deals all the time, hence my name.:)

jim7310

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2010
    Westfield
    I have had good luck at some smaller scrap yards. Sure, you pay market price for lead, but they tend to throw anything plumbus in with the lead. I have bought bunches of 50/50 bar solder and full Linotype machine ingots for the price of scrap lead.

parson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    New Castle
    Car batteries not a good idea. A lot of toxic junk.

I have better success at small, independent auto repair shops. Sometimes you might score a coffee can full, other times there may be a bucket or two.

I offer to pay, but they usually just give them to me.

Also, it helps if you give them some business. One place I used for some repairs on the wife's car.

WLW

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    Just a thought, could you guys nutralize the acid and use the lead from old car batteries?

The plates are very high in both tin and antimony needless to say the toxic fumes you would be dealing with since the average fella doesn't have the means to completely clean the metals beyond neutralizing the acid.

Plinkuh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    I know of a local auto parts store called Speedway Auto Parts that sells wheel weights individually. You can also buy larger quantities. They're all lead, as far as I know. I think the largest packs they have are 100. Also have different sizes for different applications.

Could look into it, worth a try.

Top Bottom