• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jspy5

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Southern Marion County
    Have an older Bushmaster and an older Colt. Been out of the loop for awhile with what is now out there but remember those in the know saying Bushy's and the like are fine as range toys. Never ran mine hard and it's an accurate firearm. Problems occur when running them hard as in a multi day class where problems with the bolt, etc really show up. If I go to a class where it would be ran hard I'll take the older Colt. Much like some inexpensive modern arms. Many work fine as a range gun used occasionally with a few boxes of ammo. Run them hard and problems can show up. The question being what is your intended use? Something to putts around with here and there or something to be ran hard on a fairly regular basis.

I hear stuff like this all the time so my question is WTH happens when you run guns hard ? I understand guys use their rifles for the occasional range trip (me included ) but what seems to be happening most often when you are going thru a weekend of running and gunning. That being said, why can't a lesser rifle (fill in your most recent POS here ) be modified to be all it can be with just a couple changes.

Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    From my recollection one of the key failures is the bolt itself. Many are (or weren't) properly staked and some of the metallurgy left something to be desired. Could a better bolt be installed? Easily but in some instances it is just as cost effective to get a better quality one from the get go.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I hear stuff like this all the time so my question is WTH happens when you run guns hard ? I understand guys use their rifles for the occasional range trip (me included ) but what seems to be happening most often when you are going thru a weekend of running and gunning. That being said, why can't a lesser rifle (fill in your most recent POS here ) be modified to be all it can be with just a couple changes.

Gas leaks when a cheap gas block gets hot, gas keys loosening, handguards melting, buffer retainers breaking, bolts seizing in carriers, gas block set screws backing out, bcg parts failing, cheap freefloat handgaurds coming loose, castle nuts backing out, lots of interesting failures out there.

Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    Gas leaks when a cheap gas block gets hot, gas keys loosening, handguards melting, buffer retainers breaking, bolts seizing in carriers, gas block set screws backing out, bcg parts failing, cheap freefloat handgaurds coming loose, castle nuts backing out, lots of interesting failures out there.

Exactly what I was trying to convey.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

OK think with me here......A Rambler was a decent family car but you never see anyone racing them.

Metallurgy is a good place to start. The guns are cheaper because they use lesser materials to make key components. Fit/finish and so on. By the time you got the el-cheapo bargain store piece up to spec you could have bought a nicer rifle and a lot of ammo.

There is something to be admired in an older Colt.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    OK think with me here......A Rambler was a decent family car but you never see anyone racing them.

Metallurgy is a good place to start. The guns are cheaper because they use lesser materials to make key components. Fit/finish and so on. By the time you got the el-cheapo bargain store piece up to spec you could have bought a nicer rifle and a lot of ammo.

There is something to be admired in an older Colt.

Any opinions on the Ruger MPR, in terms of quality components?. I just bought one: my first AR. I was looking at BCM, but decided to start with the Ruger 1st. I'm mostly a walnut and steel collector, so don't even know if I'll like the AR platform. Havn't had a chance to shoot it yet.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    The ECI school at Perry used bushmaster for a long time, they have gone to rock river arms I believe. ...
    in my search for top quality competition grade AR.....rock river arms are hard beat.....

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    After Bushmaster was sold. The freedom group decided to concentrate all manufacturing in one location. The original owner of bushmaster then purchased the old manufacturing facility and now produces under the name Windham Weaponry.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bushmaster_Firearms_International

Windbag Weaponry = the good ol Bushmaster

I bought an AR from Windham Weaponry recently, the VEX .223 series with a laminate stock. Yeah, it was a bit pricy and on the heavy side; but, the quality is outstanding. With the Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10x32 FFP from AA Optics, the rifle is a real tack driver! I did quite a bit of research before choosing my first and probably only AR. Remington buys Bushmaster, moves operation to NY, closes original factory, lays off the folks that built them. The non-compete clause expires, original owner reopens factory, rehires staff under the WW brand and starts building quality rifles once again. You'd almost buy this one based on the story alone!

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Any opinions on the Ruger MPR, in terms of quality components?. I just bought one: my first AR. I was looking at BCM, but decided to start with the Ruger 1st. I'm mostly a walnut and steel collector, so don't even know if I'll like the AR platform. Havn't had a chance to shoot it yet.

Should be fine. Generally speaking it's hard to have a problem with a lightly used modern manufactured ar15, lightly used is key term. I have a 325 dollar complete rifle that does just fine for light casual use and the ruger is much better than the bca. I wouldn't think the ruger would have an issue in most 2 day classes. My bca, well i'd basically want every moving or wear part on it as a spare if I planned on working it out off the bench. Now where that list of issues I posted up thread comes into play is either from bottom barrel Chinese parts from wish or from high quantity users.

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county

I bought mine when they were first introduced. Maybe 7-800 trouble free rounds through it.

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    YflNEMP.jpg

Top Bottom