• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GingerGlockGirl

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 1, 2013
    It seems like there are a lot of posts being made by men about women. I think we need more discussions for women by women! I still value the guys opinion, but I want to hear from some girls! In an effort to get more discussion flowing, here is my question:

When, who, or what got you interested in firearms? I would love to hear about what got other ladies interested in shooting!

Thanks!

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I was dating Mr88GT back then. He wanted to get a firearm. I was along for the ride, so to speak. We went to the range together after he got it. (I am living proof that .22s are not required for first handgun experiences and mindset is far more important than experience when it comes to how a woman approaches different calibers. Frankly, I don't think people give women enough credit because women don't give themselves enough credit.)

Soon after, we applied for our Larrys. I also remember that firearms/RKBA issues were the vehicle that opened my political eyes.

After getting the LTCHs, we each purchased our first EDCs. Mine was a complete POS. So I got a Glock. Then a small lightweight .38 because the Glock was so heavy in the purse (I didn't carry on the bod right away).

Then I got an AR15 because I'm a huge history buff and the Kennedy assassination is one of my special interest topics (I was born on Nov 22).

Then Mr88GT got the milsurp bug.

Then things got really bad.

To add to this discussion, here's another question: what have you learned about yourself from your introduction to firearms?

Kloutz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2013
    In the center of it all
    For me it just always was. It was a constant part of my family, my community, my heritage and my culture. I don't ever remember not being around guns and hunting--it was life.

Hunting and shooting were a very practical part of our existence and I did not give it much thought. However, when I started hunting and also when I purchased my first gun--it became my own. Not the gun necessarily--but the experience, the responsibility, the understanding and the freedom.
    I don't have to be afraid when its just me and my kid. I don't have to sit around wringing my hands when I hear noises at my window. I don't have to be dependent upon someone else to keep me safe 24/7. Having a firearm gives me freedom.

My right to bear arms is just that--a RIGHT. If rights are not put into practice they become privileges. And privileges can be taken away.

mima07

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2012
    central Indiana
    About three years ago--I shot my first pistol and revolver.

For years I was always vocal about the right to own and bear arms. Funny though because I didn't have a handgun, rifle or shotgun.
    In the last three years I shopped around for a gun.
    First, I took a couple of classes ran by Jim Heath, NRA instructor for Basic Pistol and NRA Personal Protection. I knew little about guns or the possible consequences of owning a firearm. So his class was a big help.
    Soon after I got my LTCH.

My nephew was gracious enough to loan me one of his pistols, a .40 Springfield XD. I shot several of his other guns too.
    I asked a lot of questions from others too but didn't allow anyone to make up my mind. I decided on two hand guns, a pistol and a revolver. There was(always is?) a friend who insisted nothing but a .45 would offer 'stopping' power in a pistol and only .357 in a revolver.

About a year and a half ago, I bought a 9mm Springfield 3.8 XDM. It felt right in my hand as opposed to a Smith & Wesson or Glock(sorry!). A couple months later I bought a Ruger LCR .38.
    Both work well for me and they are a pleasant experience to shoot. The 9mm doesn't pack the punch of my nephew's .40; making it much easier on my hands. Earlier this year I bought a used Ruger SR .22 for plinking. I don't pretend to understand all the technicalities of firearms and shooting but do enjoy practicing and learning all the time.
    I'm thankful the purchases came before all this current wave of gun hatred in the country.
    So for eighteen months now, I own the guns I shoot!

What I have learned:

One reason it took so long to become a gun owner was I lacked confidence; thinking I wouldn't have a 'strong' enough grip, good coordination, or I would just make an idiot of myself trying to learn how to shoot.
    The NRA class I took quickly changed that. After in class time we all went to the range for some practice shooting. I was shocked-- I hit the center mass of the target each time--with a pistol and a revolver! Granted both guns were .22; but it gave me the pat on the back I needed to pursue the options. I wasn't so klutzy after all!

Now that I own and almost always carry, I am more aware when out in public areas. It's also made me more sensitive to gun issues. I am more thoughtful about issues, not less. As I have learned most gun owners are careful and patient about choices - the responsibility is greater.

wlkjr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2013
    My wife has been shooting an air pistol and better than I do. She has just joined a chapter of the Well Armed Woman and will be taking lessons soon. She said she'd rather someone else do the teaching. OK by me to save a good marriage.

mloney2

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2013
    San Pierre
    13 years ago

I started shooting 13 years ago. The very first weapon I shot was my dads .44 black powder pistol oh boy did it have a bang now I've shot everything from a .22 to a mk19

GingerGlockGirl

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 1, 2013
    I asked the question so I guess I better answer it as well!

I grew up fearing guns. My dad always had a revolver hanging in his holster from his bed post. I never saw him shoot it, clean it or even touch it. He would always instruct my sisters and I to "Never ever ever ever touch". I knew nothing about his gun and neither did he! (Come to find out its a .22 Hi-Standard cowboy revolver...not so scary!) So naturally I grew up thinking that if you even touch or even look at a gun it is going to magically go off and someone is going to get hurt.

Fast forward to present day and I found myself single and living in a not so great part of Indianapolis. Murder, robbery, arson, prositution is all around. I have had people come up to my door asking for money at ALL hours of the day and night. I have heard gun shots since I started this post! So I think you get the picture...

A year ago my protection would be dogs, wasp spray, a frying pan or whatever I could get my hands on. Last August that all changed. I started dating a guy who carried everywhere. Our first date was a trip to the range and I was just hooked...on him and his firearm! He has been an exquisite instructor and we make very frequent trips to the range. After months of searching I purchased my first pistol 2 months ago. I can't say that I feel 100% safe, but I sure do feel a lot better being home alone. I know that I can protect myself with my Glock 26. I have just fallen in love with firearms and I just soak up all the knowledge I can. I also can't wait until my LTCH comes in the mail!

Also, the boyfriend and I took my Dad's revolver to the range a few weeks ago. It was purchased in 1961 and has had less than 50 rounds sent through it. After a little bit of cleaning that plinker shot great. Best part is is that I am by no means afraid of it anymore!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2009
    In a fog
    I was around guns as a kid, but didn't take interest until a few years ago. I took classes with Jim Heath.

First, I took a couple of classes ran by Jim Heath, NRA instructor for Basic Pistol and NRA Personal Protection. I knew little about guns or the possible consequences of owning a firearm. So his class was a big help.
    Soon after I got my LTCH.

After taking his classes, I gained the confidence to continue shooting and learning about shooting.

squintz22

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2013
    Between FW and Indy
    I started running 4 years ago...trying to lose baby weight from BabyLast. (Bad plan...running makes me hungry.)

But I only ran on the treadmill. After I ran my first race, about 6 months later, I started running outside. At first it was no big deal. I only ran a couple miles, during daylight, and never far from home.

Fast forward to last summer...when I was training for my first marathon, running farther and farther from home, and hearing on multiple occasions about all the issues on the River Greenway Trail (in Fort Wayne) - where I'd planned to do a lot of my runs. And then the creepers on the bikes - I had two different guys follow me while I was running one of my normal routes...almost the entire way, and it scared me. A lot.

So I called my neighbor, who happens to be one of the local police officers. He had 4 different models, took me to shoot them all at the range, I picked the one that I shot the best. He went with me to help pick out my actual gun, as well as ammunition. We went back to the range and I shot mine...quite well if I do say so myself! (To my surprise and his!)

Sent in for my LTCH on 3/22 and continue to wait. In the meantime...I investigate the best ways to carry mine while I run...open or concealed.

t_star

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 8, 2011
    NWI
    My dad introduced me to shooting many years ago, at least 15, maybe 20. Back then, I really wasn't interested in guns, and I paid minimal attention. I was just glad to spend the time with my dad, as it wasn't often he was home. (OTR trucker)
    In the past five years or so, my boyfriend started buying more guns, and we go to the range a lot. I'm much older now, and I've developed a true interest in shooting. Dad is still big into guns, and now it's fun to have "show and tell" with him.

sheller

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    NW Indy
    I never grew up with guns and never gave them any thought. Two years ago my house was broken into repeatedly by my crazy ex. One of my good friend's husband carries since he works on cellular towers and travels extensively by himself. He helped me pick out my first gun, took me to the range, and recommended a company that I have taken numerous handgun defense classes through. I will apply for my LCTH within the next few weeks. I just moved to IN from out of state and have a valid PTC from my former state.

Polished515

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Muncie
    My first experience with a firearm was actually not a good one. My father believed it was a good idea to keep a loaded un-holstered revolver under his bed for protection and when I was 4 I found it. My mother found me and left the poor man for a few weeks because of it. After that my father took it all a lot more seriously and as I got older he invested in a plethora of firearms for me starting me off with a bow and a bb gun. Once I got a little older and my parents divorced I lost my interest in shooting. Mainly because my mother is very seriously anti-gun. As a young adult I met my husband and he revived the love of shooting for me. So now at 27 years old we own a fair amount of firearms and shoot them frequently.

I enjoy shooting our handguns and shotguns but I love shooting the rifles. Our Stevens 200 and our MP5 are recent favorites of mine. We actually just picked up the MP5 from a fellow INGOer the other day and took it out immediately. Seriously fun shooting!
    I carry a Kel Tec PF-9 at the moment but am looking into a Springfield XDS.

We are teaching our children about our firearms now and that has been an amazing experience. They are so curious and fun to teach. They hang on every word and seem so much more comfortable with firearms than many of our adult friends. My almost 9 year old daughter is firing a 10/22 now and is doing a great job. My 4 year old son will be shooting his Cricket for the first time today.

In my experience with shooting I have definitely gained confidence. I am confident I can protect myself and my family if I need to. I am no longer intimidated by people when I run or when I am out on my own. And I do not fear being left home alone at night. I feel prepared and I learn something new everyday. In my opinion owning and collecting firearms is not something you are going to learn and be done with. Its an everyday learning experience and there is always room to grow. I am really thankful for my husband and his family for teaching me more than I was able to learn on my own. And I greatly enjoy being the one all my friends come to for answers about firearms. It feels good to teach someone something that ultimately makes them feel more confident in their ability to protect themselves.

CountryGunner

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2013
    Thorntown
    My wife hate being near any type of gun until I finally got her to shoot a .22 rifle. After that the flood gates opened and 5 years later she owns her own Ar-15 she purchased for herself as well as her carry permit and she never leaves the house without her Glock26. I'm proud of how far she has come!

Lees

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    My dad let us shoot starting at age 5. Not much, just enough to promote healthy respect. The men in my family and friends of my brothers have all gone shooting with me as I got older, like 17+. If I'd had only sisters I doubt I would have been exposed to it, and certainly it would have been a lot less. Even then it has not been a whole lot (although much more than a lot of others).

AnnieO

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    There were shotguns and rifles in my house growing up. My dad bought a new handgun when I was young (jr high?). He wanted me and my sister to shoot it, I guess to satisfy any curiosity we might have. In my 20s I enjoyed shooting my dad's rifle a few times. hubby grew up hunting and shooting. I didn't shoot anything for about ten years, busy with the kid and stuff. I got my LTCH several years ago, just in case. My husband bought me a Kimber for our ten year anniversary. I wasn't excited:rolleyes:. But he took me out shooting and I remembered how much fun it is. Almost a year later, I own my own 10/22 and just bought a Shield.

Top Bottom