• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • grimor

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    Elkhart
    I know that some guns have the suppressor built in to the barrel, what I'm wondering is at what point do you go from "just part of the gun" to this is suppressed.

Can't you just make a gun that by design is quieter without it being a suppressed firearm requiring a tax stamp?

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    A suppressed firearm is typically being considered such when stripped of it's rights, liberties, or other freedoms.. Most generally it isn't allowed to speak out loudly too.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    It's suppressed as soon as the decibel rating drops when using the device versus open bore
    This^^^

If it quiets the report of the firearm by ANY amount it is considered a suppressor.

This is one HUGE gray area though. Is a barrel extension a suppressor? It does reduce the report of the firearm. But ATF seems to think it's not a suppressor. OTOH, a 'fake' suppressor or a muzzle brake that quiets the report by 1/2 decibel would likely be considered a suppressor by the ATF.

So as you can see, the waters are definitely muddy. My advice is don't push your luck. If you have to ask then most likely it will be considered a suppressor.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    I knew someone years ago that was arrested for manufacturing, and selling illegal silencers. It turns out that they were SO bad, he had to be convicted of conspiracy to manufacture silencers, rather than the manufacture of the silencers. I think they have to reduce the sound by a certain number of decibels to be considered a silencer. Otherwise, virtually every flash hider and muzzle break on the market would be a silencer.

RobbLG

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2010
    I knew someone years ago that was arrested for manufacturing, and selling illegal silencers. It turns out that they were SO bad, he had to be convicted of conspiracy to manufacture silencers, rather than the manufacture of the silencers. I think they have to reduce the sound by a certain number of decibels to be considered a silencer. Otherwise, virtually every flash hider and muzzle break on the market would be a silencer.

ROFLMAO... I bet the people that bought/ordered his silencers felt stupid...

Top Bottom