When is it your reloading error vs a mechanical problem.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jcj54

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    NE
    Another thing to watch for is cases that did not get sized small enough just ahead of the extractor groove. Some cases either don't get sized down enough or spring back enough to cause the problem. Usually these are cases fired in Glocks which are known for marginal case support in that area of the case.
    I use the plunk test: I take the barrel out of my pistol and make sure the case will drop freely into the chamber all the way without hangup. If your overall length is correct the main reason for a hangup is brass that us too big just ahead of the extractor groove.
    This can result in failure to fire.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I am considering getting a hand primer from RCBS. My concern was my arthritis in my wrist and how long i would last with that. But I’ll give this a shot. I think you’re right though on those primers probably not properly seated.
    I have the RCBS Universal Hand Priming Tool, PN 90201. I used it quite a bit in my reloading days. It will give your hand a workout though it may be beneficial if you don't overuse it. You know, move it to keep it healthy.

I will say that in my years of reloading, I did not have one round fail. I built redundant checks, utilized Poka-yoke protocols and checked every completed round to insure I had good ammo, every time.

BTW, I will sell that priming tool if you are interested...shameless plug. :)

Top Bottom