Where did your addiction begin and with what firearms (handguns)?!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • slipnotz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 31, 2010
    Can't ever remember not liking guns, bought my first gun book at the school book fair in the third grade. That was in 1964 and I still have it. Starting shooting rats in my grandparents chicken house with a Winchester 67 with bird shot. Mowed yards to buy my first gun, Sears single shot 20 gauge for 25$. Passed down a Remington 22 pump to a nephew this year, he is the 5th generation to have it passed down too. Have had a lot of good times shooting and hunting.

jaymark6655

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2018
    Bloomington
    Grew up with neighbors that were allowed to play with toy guns. Later found my grandpa's old Red Ryder in the attic and begged him to shoot it. Can't remember when I received my own Red Ryder, but it might have been after I turned 13 (ridiculous). Grew up reading Canadian Guide Manuals and other books on shooting. As soon as I was old enough, I bought a Marlin in 22 WMR. It was later replaced with a Remington 597 in the same caliber. I wish I still had that Remington, it was the one with the laminated wood stock. I sold it to pay for a speeding ticket. Didn't own another firearm until after the Marines when I purchased a Glock 23 for possible protection from a bear that liked digging through my trash. First time I saw him, I decided I needed at .308 Remington 700 instead. From there it has been easy to justify just one more that fills a specific roll that all previous purchases don't quite cover.

Short list of still need:
    9mm pistol for USPSA (probably Glock 19)
    O/U shotgun
    20 ga for wife and kids to use
    Revolver (38 or 357, wife want a 38)
    black powder revolver
    muzzleloader pistol to match my rifle
    flint lock
    precision AR for teaching wife and kids long range shooting
    custom built LR rifle for me
    maybe a lever action and single action in both in 44 mag

Last edited:

Meathead2011

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2020
    Flora
    Mine just started this year which I know is one of the worst years to start but it started with a HK VP9 Tactical with a threaded barrel and suppressor high sights I love it

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    Mine began around 1950 as I was born in Roy Roger's home town. He came back every year for a town celebration and to visit his Uncle Bill. I would look at his two guns and want my own. At about 8 dad let me use his Remington-Rand 1911 to run a trap line as he didn't have a .22. Several SAA and 1911's have brought their selves into the house and made their selfs at home over the years.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    About the time I turned twelve Mom took a Luger and taught me to trim pine cones.

Sthunter987

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 5, 2009
    Southern Johnson County
    My first gun was what I think we all had. 1 fore finger and 1 thumb. always loved that gun and still have to this day (amazingly after what I've done in my life).

The first real gun I shot was Colt 1911 70 Series and I was hooked. First gun I bought to learn on was a Ruger P95 which didn't last long because I got intruded to my good friend Beretta and have taken him with me everywhere (never leave the house without him, lol).

Then that old joy from my youth returned one day and I bought that memory back with the Colt 1911 70 series and never looked back.

To still day I have owned many different guns and styles but I've never left my 2 friends, Colt and Beretta.

Lt Scott 14

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 18, 2018
    Porter County
    My first was a gift from my Dad. Remington 541 22lr bolt action rifle. We joined the Izzak Walton, and use to target shoot outside.

My first handgun was a S&W M10-5, 4in Tapered bbl, Square Butt, Blue with worn grips. (Magna). Had worn bluing on barrel, and cylinder.

I guess the flood gates opened, and have prolly owned over 100 different models of Semi Auto, and Revolvers.

Still own the Remington, and the Smith M10. Both solid after 40+ years of shooting, buying, and trading.

BigErnNP

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2020
    Southeast Side
    Grew up in a household that honestly just had a fear of guns. No explanation had been given except that we didn't need them and you shouldn't have them.
    It wasn't until December 2020 that I shot my first gun(s) during a Christmas trip to my father in laws house in TN. My wife and I were able to shoot a Ruger Mark IV Tactical 22lr, S&W M&P Shield EZ9 and a Taurus revolver (can't remember the model/caliber).
    We were pretty much hooked and as soon as we got back home after the holidays, researched and finally found the S&W in stock so jumped on it.
    I've been able to gather 9mm 500rds thus far and plan on going to the range as soon as possible.
    My LTCH process is at last step, waiting on ISP final approval, and my wife's LTCH just needs local fee paid and the wait for final approval.

We are trying to get more experience with shooting other guns to figure out what is next.

Ive told my FIL that I really appreciate him getting me addicted, as it may be the absolute worse time to have started in history. But looking forward to the future. Just keep adding when we can afford and jump on any opportunity we can.

shadow64

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    Plainfield
    In high school I worked construction and my boss let try his s&w model 39 that’s were it started. mom would not let me get a pistol but did let me use her jennings 22 . 2 years ago I make her get rid of the jennings I shot it it still worked after a really good cleaning She had not touched it in 30 years so I gave her a revolver and I cleaned it every time I visited .

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    Sometime around the age of 4/5 I went squirrel hunting with my father for the first time. I've been hooked ever since. From hunting to target shooting and even a bit (very little) of competing. It's near at the top of my list of all things enjoyable.

I now proudly pass this enthusiasm and knowledge on to my children.
    The grin should tell it all.

View attachment me5.jpg

Mason513

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 15, 2020
    NWI
    Grandpa “forgot” to give Uncle Sam back his M1911A1 after WWII. Never got to meet him so it’s nice to own something he owned/touched/fired. Beside the sentimentality, it’s a great gun, pretty accurate and reliable. I shoot it about 1-2 times a year, love that dang thing!

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    When I was 23. Just married my wife and a week later her Dad a former Marine who served in Korea handed me a S&W Model 10 and 2 boxes of Super Vel ammo and told me...Dont ever let anything happen to my little girl. Learn to use it Keep it clean and have it ready. I still have it and its clean. It's been retired in favor of others. Thats where my love of Firearms began 35 years ago. ...I do miss that man.

tomcat13

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Near Louisville
    Gift from Dad when I was about 12: Winchester Semi-auto, Tube Feed 22LR (Model 190 I Think-it's been a While, LOL). Wish I Still had it, Traded it for my 1st Pistol: S & W 357 Mag Model 27.
    Miss U Everyday-SSGT R Moore, US Army-Korea.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    In my younger years, I had a Fanner 50, Colt 45, mattel shooting caps, a gun in a belt buckle that actually shot plastic bullets when you pushed your stomach out. I had holsters, tommy machine guns, snub nose 38.....I cannot remember all that contributed to me wanting to expand on it all. I did buy a Remmington 1100 for Trap when I was 17 but sold it when I was 19.

Now, I have nothing. I just come to these forums to fantasize.

Top Bottom