• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    My daughter was introduced to archery recently by the father of one of her friends and is really interested in getting lessons. She and her friends are even talking about forming an Archery Club at their high school.

As I suffer from rheumatoid arthritis that affects my wrists and shoulders, the concept of archery is not something that has really entered my mind. Clearly I'm not the one to teach her since I don't know. Did a little digging around and found: ON TARGET ARCHERY, which is in Steger, IL.

I've been warned that Cabela's is the wrong place to go by several people.

Any other places I should look at, preferably with a reputation for teaching teenage kids?

Also, I'd like to get her a recurve bow, something with a 30# draw.
    • Any particular brands to stay away from?
    • Or special brands to look for?

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I've been recommended to bypass Bear and Martin and purchase a SAMICK recurve. Apparently they are better but lesser known so their name does not command a premium. Any thoughts? The archer who recommend this to me is a world class shooter in England currently holds 3 world records, he's close friends with my sister & her husband and I had a chance to ask his advice. I've never heard of Samick bows. If they are so good then why are they not more popular?

Got it thanks.

windingwinds

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2011
    Miami County, Indiana
    I like the Bear bows, my son started with a Bear. We also have Diamond by bowtech compounds, the fully adjustable Razors Edge, 3 of them. (they adjust to short draws and from 30-60# draw weight) They aren't bad for a entry level bow. Don't see myself needing a new bow for awhile. 3 Rivers is by Fort Wayne I believe, sounds like a great place to get recurve info. I go to Bass Pro in Portage, BUT, BUT it is highly dependant upon who is there setting up the archery, the one guy who believes he is a pro actually should not touch compounds. (set me up with wrong drawlength, wrong arrows, and the bow broke the peep site after 5 shots, got that fixed and then the string came off the CAM after about 1/2 hr of shooting, the guy told me I could finger shoot a compound, not a great idea..........I contacted Bass Pro and they sent me a new bow and it's been almost perfect ever since.) But for Traditional shooting they do have some lighter recurve bows, PSE and Bear.

Noble Sniper

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    132   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    Anderson, Indiana
    Hello, Lake county is up by Lake Michigan isn't it? For bows I am a diehard Mathews shooter. They make a top notch product and stand behind it. Hoyt is naother one that is fantastic. I have had one of their takedown recurves for over twenty five years. Will not comment about the new Bear archery products as I have not really looked or studied them. But I will say the old Bear bows from when Fred still ran things are top notch and still around on the used market. Check for local bow shops in your area. Go in and talk to them and explain you want to get your daughter started as a shooter and she will need instruction. Alot of shops have ranges right at their shops and will more than likely be glad to help a new shooter out. My Dad started me shooting at age four and I have shot ever since. Its a fantastic sport and I wish your daughter years of happy string pulling ;) And I commend you for helping her get there :) Let me know exactly where your at and I can can try and find some good shops in your area.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    We live on the IN/ILL state line in south Lake County. Google seems to indicate that the shop I posted in my first post is the closest specialty archer shop to where I live. The shop has beginner lessons and both indoor and outdoor ranges.

I've found 3 Samick recurve bows, all are take down type, that have 25# draw weights. All in the $125 to $190 price range. Reviews on several websites seems to be favorable to the Samick brand.

Here is the most expensive of the Samick beginner bows => Samick Red Stag Takedown Recurve Bow

Mid priced Samick beginner bow => http://www.oldbow.com/samick_sage_recurve_bow.htm

Low priced Samick beginner bow => http://www.traditionalarcheryusa.com/samickpolaris62bow.aspx

I like the fact that as my daughter learns and grows, its a simple matter of changing the changing the limbs to increase the draw weight from 25# to 30# to 35# . . . so she really can't outgrow the bow.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Yeah, competitions with 3d targets. I've seen some indoor and outdoor. The outdoor were done in the woods with deer, bear, hog targets. One of my friends (and his dad) did competitions back in the 90s. They were more into the compound side of things but a quick search showed the 3d archery shoots in the Midwest using all types of bows.

Kustom King Traditional Archery custom bows, youth arrows, arrow shafting, broadheads, bow hunting These guys might be able to help a bit with bows and where to shoot.

Kustom King Traditional Archery
    5435 West 75th Avenue, Schererville, IN
    (219) 322-0790

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    For accuracy target competitions at what range are the archers shooting? Is there a standard distance?

I ask only because we already have a shooting range in the back field, it would be easy enough to make it a bit wider an incorporate an archery range too. Is there a standard distance at which they shoot competitions?

thoroughbred

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jun 27, 2011
    My houseboat on Lake Michigan
    Distances are usually set for different classes, but its kinda like golf tees I guess you can say. For someone learning though or new it doesn't matter you can shoot from wherever you want but I would estimate the average ranges are 20-40yds for most targets. They are fun though with all sort of different animals for targets and some of the places like deep river have their targets set up so you shoot from hill tops or across streams. They are usually pretty cheap too less than 10 bucks.

Jacobm

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2011
    Newton County
    The people from Kustom King are great. If they don't have exactly what you want they will be happy to give you other ideas.

Bob's archery in Morocco isn't too far from the west creek area. He's got some traditional equipment and has been around since there was only traditional bows. I have seen him work with new shooters and he does quite well.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I've just ordered a Samick Sage take down recurve. I chose it based on recommendations from my brother in law (who competes in England with a Samick) and another friend who holds 3 world records and recommended the Samick bows, as well as various INGO members here who have said good things about the Samick brand.

The Sage has replaceable limbs so I can start her out at 25#, then move her up to 30, 35, etc without having to buy new bows as she advances, yet it still looks like a traditional wood bow.

hunting_sage.jpg

Top Bottom