Where to get hands on suppressor testing?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    90   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    I'm researching for my first can. So far, I'm liking the Saker 762 because of it's capability to be used on smaller caliber guns like a 5.56. I would like to shoot my .308 suppressed, but my main goal is to quiet the bark of my 5.56 SBR. I also like the Surefire cans. Internet claims can be misleading, and even all the you tube videos I've watched can't tell the real story due to the different cameras/phones and environments out there.

Is there a suppressor dealer where you can see and hear different cans in person? Here in Indiana...

Problem #1 is, it seems not many dealers stock more than a few different manufacturers at one location.

Problem #2 is I'm very much stuck on using the upper I have now. My SBR is built around an ArmsTech Compak 16 upper I took to Iraq. It was billed as a suppressor friendly design when I bought it in 2004. This upper has a very special place in my heart because I used it in combat. (unsuppressed) I have made this my "Things that go bump in the night" gun for home defense. Should I ever need it, and even for training, I really want to tame the blast.

I would like the capability of a multi use can, but that is not the primary goal. I've been looking at the smaller cans some too, just for their compactness. Weight is not a big concern. A few ounces here or there mean nothing to me. I'm leaning towards putting a muzzle brake mount on it, I have read this will help act somewhat as a sacrificial blast baffle. Not looking for "Hollywood" quiet, but as good as I can get in a compact reliable unit.

Here's my SBR as she sits today. (other than the KX5 is no longer there)

Last edited:

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Can't remember his INGO user name, but Tim who does the Military Arms Channel on YouTube is part owner of Copper Custom in (IIRC) the Valpo area. I don't know if he will let you test, but I daresay he's put more rounds through more suppressors than just about anyone else in Indiana.

chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI
    I 2nd Copper Custom. I have bought 5 cans from them and Tim, Dave, and Les are all top notch guys and know a ton about suppressors. How long is your SBR? After talking with Tim I went with the Recce7 which is a 308 multi caliber can. I also went with the Recce5 because well I have 2 AR's lol. If you go to Military arms channel Tim and Dave test about 30 Suppressors on a 308 bolt and then toss a few of those same cans on a 556 to give you the results. Its a very good video.

Here is the link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iL2Q2DIX76o

They do have a gun range inside but I don't know that they will shoot it in there and even if they did it would not be a good representation.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Overall, I like my 762 Saker, the attachment method is slick.

However....it is heavy. The Omega is much much lighter and meters lower, and it looks like your barrel length is 10" or longer so you'll be fine.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    90   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    My SBR is built around a 9.5" ArmsTech Compak 16 upper. I came with the Vortex. I had a KX5 on it for quite a spell and it does a good job of directing the blast downrange so as not to **** those off on either side of me. Accuracy suffered, it's heavier and I had it cranked on way too tight, so I went back to the Vortex. Really got the bug for a suppressor now. I'm having a lot of memories about shooting it in Iraq, and that sucker was accurate, but loud... especially when fired from within a truck. As a home defence gun, possible inside use really puts a can at the top of my want list. I'll check out the you tube video.

Top Bottom