• ...and so much more!
  • Which bike to get

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Terre Haute
    I am looking to purchase my "last" motorcycle. I have decided I want a Yamaha Royal Star Venture, and narrowed it down to these two bikes. Which would you get?

This one is a 2009 model, with 28,000 miles, priced at $10,000, and it is located one hour from my house.

This one is a 2011 model, with 18,000 miles, priced at $12,500, and is located three hours from my house.

Oh, decisions, decisions.

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    The red 'n black one gets my vote. Cheaper, closer, and too close in years to matter. Maintenance being equal on both and no known issues for the "year' assumed. What do I know though, I ride Hardly David-don't.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I like the red one, but I would check any upgrades. I would also make sure the stereo is equipped for plug-ins and CB.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    As a fellow rider, I'm going with the blue, without a doubt. Presuming everything else is equal (tires, hoses, coolant clean, etc.)

And it has nothing to do with color. In fact, the '09 is about the same color as one of my cars, so obviously I like the color.

As EyeCarry noted, the model years are too close to matter. BUT, the mileage is not.

The '11 has 10,000 fewer miles. That's <1/3 less than the '09. That's significant. I know p-l-e-n-t-y of riders that don't put 10,000 miles on in a year. If you're in that large group, that could be 2 - 3 years of riding, and wear & tear. difference. Again, significant.

Additionally, while MOST bikes today are relatively 'bullet proof', the 25k mark is often where some of those little 'niggling' problems start appearing. At least, that was my experience working summers at a local scooter store for some years (as Sales, as Service, and also as their only 'test pilot' for new models and customer repairs).

I'm presuming, if you owned an FJ1300 (great bike, owned a FJ1200 in the past), you already understand riding a 'lead sled' isn't the same as riding the FJ. Performance is different, handling is different, about the only thing that's similar is that they're both 2-wheeled transports, LOL.

Just for disclosure, not 'brand' loyal, so the opinion is just based on motorcyles ridden for more than 5 decades, dirt, street, and racing.

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Terre Haute
    Got the FJR about 4 years ago, told myself and my Sweetie that it was the next to last bike. I wanted a little bit of fun and speed before I got too old. Due to a wide variety of a lot of little things, it is time to let it go. Been looking hard for the "last bike", and the Venture with it's V-4 engine, shaft drive and cast wheels, plus fairing and windshield, hits all the things I am looking for in a last bike. Comfortable, roomy, powerful. I have ridden one for a test drive, now I would like Sweetie to get on one and see what she thinks. She liked the 85 Magna 1100 I had, and the Vulcan 900. She don't like the FJR, been on it twice with me and won't ride it again. Too tall for her tastes, and has her sitting higher than me so she gets too much wind.

I like the red one, but the mileage difference and price difference have me leaning towards the blue one, so I thought I would see what others thought.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I have a terrible time switching to a cruiser from a sport or sport tourer style bike. I tend to be to aggressive and late braking, the crusier bikes just do not tolerate that riding style. The weight, the lesser brakes and the lesser tires are easy to out drive. I get into that trouble even before picking and slapping an agressive apex point. I have had some pretty close calls when I forgot that you just cannot lean a crusier enough to peel the chicken strips off the edges of the tread. I guess if I got a cruiser INSTEAD of a more sporting chassis motorcycle, I would get used to it.

Most modern technology bikes are really pretty good with only routine maintenance. Enjoy!

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    I have a terrible time switching to a cruiser from a sport or sport tourer style bike. I tend to be to aggressive and late braking, the crusier bikes just do not tolerate that riding style. The weight, the lesser brakes and the lesser tires are easy to out drive. I get into that trouble even before picking and slapping an agressive apex point. I have had some pretty close calls when I forgot that you just cannot lean a crusier enough to peel the chicken strips off the edges of the tread. I guess if I got a cruiser INSTEAD of a more sporting chassis motorcycle, I would get used to it.
    Good points, Leo.

I actually own both, and there's definitely a different 'mindset' that needs to be inculcated before throwing a leg over either. I just try and 'channel' either my inner "Kenny Roberts" or "Jim Bronson" ("Then Came Bronson") depending on what the ride is for the day.

JMO, but there's also a riding 'style' difference between riding something like the GSXR-1000 and the ZX-14. Different approach to corners, to braking, even to acceraltion. Same thing between the YZF-R1 and the Hayubusa. Even between 'similar' bikes like the sport ZX10R, supersport ZX-14, and the supersport-touring Concours 14. Weight, rake & trail, wheelbase, etc. all necessitate differences in 'approach'.

Some bikes (like the Goldwing) are, essentially, 'mini-vans on wheels', and ya couldn't get it to wheelie with a tow truck lifting the front end. Other's want to wheelie if ya even 'look' at the right grip, LOL.

I was looking forward to buying the new Kawasaki H2 street bike until they decided to 'detune' it, leaving only the H2R with the 'proper' 300 bhp supercharged engine. Already have the 200 bhp (same as the street H2) ZX-14, which is also $10,000 less. For $10 grand, need something more than a cool paint job (black chrome) and something that looks like it should unfold like a Transformer robot, LOL...

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Terre Haute
    Thanks for all the votes and advice. I am more of a cruiser guy than sport bike. Last three bikes were cruisers. Anyways, this past Saturday was the day, got the call from the stealership that the red Venture was available. Had a loan from the credit union all set to use, and then the Bookkeeper showed me the books. Dang, I am not liking this growing up thing. If I use the money I was going to use to buy the bike, I could have two more debts paid off in 12 months. So I made the responsible choice and am putting the bike purchase on hold til this time next year. Have to see what is available then.

Top Bottom