• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • voidsherpa

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2015
    NE
    I'd like to buy a clamp knife sharpening set. Leaning towards the Lanky Deluxe Diamond system with an addition of a sapphire hone. Or should I looking at a comparable GATCO or even a KME? Mainly going to be used for EDC folders, survival knife, ect. (maybe a Scandinavian forrest axe)

Also looking to get into straight razors and would these be able to re-profile if the need arised? Pretty new to knife sharpening, so any advice would be appreciated. Not entirely getting the results with a Arkansas stone and my lack of skill.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    I will recommend a good diamond stone, in my experience I have gotten by far the best results from using Diamonds, then Ceramics followed up by leather strops. I cannot comment on the Gatco system, but when I did have a Lansky I never got really "good" results. Look up the wicked edge system I am a big fan (be warned they are relatively expensive)

voidsherpa

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2015
    NE
    Thanks for the advice, I've never heard of the the Wicked Edge System, and at $300 it's not too bad. The stone prices are currently what I believe are going to keep me from going that direction. Fairly Sure i'm going to pick up a KME w/ diamond now and a set of the Arkansas stones. When buying additional stones how high of a grit should I go before I take it to a leather strop?

Last edited:

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Thanks for the advice, I've never heard of the the Wicked Edge System, and at $300 it's not too bad. The stone prices are currently what I believe are going to keep me from going that direction. Fairly Sure i'm going to pick up a KME w/ diamond now and a set of the Arkansas stones. When buying additional stones how high of a grit should I go before I take it to a leather strop?

Just a heads up the 100-600 grit wicked edge stones will make a knife razor sharp, honestly everything after 600 is just polishing and refining the edge. I recommend 14 micron strops for the best results.

Terry A

Marksman
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Jan 24, 2010
    NWI
    KME

KME is a great choice, it works well, and made in the USA with a lifetime warrantee. They are easy to set up and put a great edge on a knife. Price is right also!!

Top Bottom