Which Recurve Bows are NOT made in China?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    My brother in law lives in London, England and speaks very highly of Kustom King. He visited there last time he was in town. But its high end and they don't offer training or a range. They sell bows, but don't make them.

Instinct Archery in Ashley.
    Those are too expensive and not geared toward beginners, their draw weights start higher than she needs to use.

Got it, thanks. Considering other alternatives but I'll hang onto the PM just in case!

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    Oh I am so glad to see others talking traditional archery. I'm so tired of the fussiness of wheelie bows. The only recurve bow I currently own is one of an unknown make that I've had for years. Got it in a trade and the only markings it has on it are #35+ B61773L 64" X. It's a little on the light side for huntng but will serve well for my son to learn on.

I see a nice longbow in the near future, just haven't decided on the brand yet.

den57

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Franklin, In
    I don't know how much of a hurry you are in, but if you can wait until June, Cloverdale Conservation Club holds The Traditional Nationals, I think the 2nd weekend. There are a lot of traditional bows and bow makers that attend. You can shoot most or all of the bow for sale.

DEC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Angola
    As someone else suggested, get in touch with 3 Rivers Archery in Ashley, Indiana. Their shop is about a 2 minute drive from my house. I can personally attest that they are great folks and know their traditional gear backwards and forwards. They should be able to help you out with a product that they carry or even point you in the right direction if they don't carry a particular brand/model.

3Rivers Archery Equipment, Traditional Youth Archery Bows and Arrows, and Long Bow Hunting

blackoak

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    I would get on Ebay, or do whatever it takes and find a quality vintage made in Grayling MI USA Bear recurve bow. There are still 1000's sitting in people closets that are to be found, if lucky for very little money. Ebay will not be cheap, but quality very seldom is. God bless Fred Bear.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I thought Ragim was Italian.
    What I am finding is that --on the lower priced bows-- it doesn't matter from what nation the corporation is location, the lower priced bows are mostly made in China.

Korea and the USA seem to offer some of the best quality bows for Olympic and serious competitors. Samick and Bear seem to be favorites, but those are big buck bows.

I've purchased two bows for Christmas, a modest Samick "Sage" and a PSE "Optima" and am not sure of the origins of either of them.

There was a guy that showed up at the smaller Indy 1500's with these . . . These versions are suppose to be for kids: Horsebows - Bows page 2
    The price is right but my daughter is 17 years old, she needs a full size bow. This is one place where I find a lot of problems with 'youth' grade bows. Many are simply toys. Some are serious, but scaled down. The reason I picked the two bows above is because I needed full size bows that she could grow with, having replaceable limbs allows me to get her new bow limbs as her skills improve.

Titanium Man

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Indy---USA
    I thought Ragim was Italian.

They are.

Samick , KAP (Korean Archery Products) have moved the majority of their manufacturing facilities to China.

The Olympic Recurve I use, was originally made in South Korea, but alas it's made in China. They still charge the $1200+ dealer pricing for it, so I guess instead of a price increase every year, they just absorb their manufacturing savings for the consumer. The only bad thing about Olympic Recurves, is the $1200 is only the handle and limbs for the bow. Arrows, Sight, Stabilizers, and accessories all are extra. When I get done with my set-up I've got close to $4000 in it. Heck, the arrows I use are close to $600/dz with tungsten points.

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    They are.

Samick , KAP (Korean Archery Products) have moved the majority of their manufacturing facilities to China.

The Olympic Recurve I use, was originally made in South Korea, but alas it's made in China. They still charge the $1200+ dealer pricing for it, so I guess instead of a price increase every year, they just absorb their manufacturing savings for the consumer. The only bad thing about Olympic Recurves, is the $1200 is only the handle and limbs for the bow. Arrows, Sight, Stabilizers, and accessories all are extra. When I get done with my set-up I've got close to $4000 in it. Heck, the arrows I use are close to $600/dz with tungsten points.

4K!................that makes dumping a little over 1K for Blackwidow seem like a steal ;)

Titanium Man

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Indy---USA
    4K!................that makes dumping a little over 1K for Blackwidow seem like a steal ;)

Yep! Black Widow bows have been a premier bow ever since I knew about them in the 70's. Use to be good friends with a prior owner, and they've always made outstanding and custom made equipment. The only other longbow I'd rather have, is my custom made longbow signed personally by Earl Hoyt Jr., which is hanging on the wall in front of me now. It's nice to see your name permanently signed under the dull gloss finish, and then having Earl Hoyt's right underneath. Priceless--to me.:)

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I shot along side Ken Beck back in '87 IIRC at Cloverdale. Just the practice range, I had my first BW then (62# MA2). He was quite the gentleman.

The new guys at BW are top notch too, my dealings were with Roger. I bonked my 55# SA2 in a bowfishing mishap, they fixed it fast. The repair cracked later (after I smoked a couple deer that fall) and he said they'd take a look at it.

Calls me up, bow 4 yrs old, they switched from handcrafted to CNC and says they could make me new limbs for my old bow but it'd look less than perfect, and he didn't liked that. So he asks me if I'd be interested in a new bow, whatever # and length I wanted, for a prorated charge of ............$148, with new warranty etc.

Heck of a deal!

I don't need another BW, sold mine due to injury, which have since healed. I love 'em and will probably get another just because the bows are great and the people who make and sell them are too! :)

Titanium Man

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Indy---USA
    I met Ken just after he bought the company from my friend Bill Richard, ummmmm I'd say back in 82ish. The one thing I can say about the heritage of Black Widow is the continuing high standards.

Top Bottom