• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • absrio

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Howard County
    When I moved to Indiana a year and half ago I wanted to get a Suppressed SBR. Since then I have not done either and have added 2 new ar's to the family. If I was to build a SBR i would order another lower and have it engraved. My question comes down to if I bought a suppressor which caliber do I go for.

RRA 16" 223
    Pros: I can use a .308 can, I can load Subsonic 223
    Cons: Makes for a longer rifle
    YHM Price: $535
    DPMS 24" SS .308
    Pros: I can use on the .223, I can load Subsonic .308
    Cons" Makes a really long rifle, Have to have the barrel threaded
    YHM Price: $695
    RRA 10.5" 9mm
    Pros: Already have a short barrel & subsonic ammo Low overall length if SBR
    Cons: Can only use on 1 firearm
    YHM Price: $580

All prices are from YHM and included the Quick Disconnect. If i get one I will probably deal with Wyatt's in Cicero.

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    I suggest that you find someone with a 5.56 can and go listen to it being used, you will find that it is still a little louder than a .22lr, not to mention you will still hear the sonic crack. Also, down loading a 5.56 round to sub-sonic levels is pointless IMHO, you are in basically getting .22lr ballistics, why bother.

A .308 can is best served on a bolt gun, especially so if you plan on shooting alot of sub-sonic loads, as your DPMS will not cycle due to the reduced power of the load. Also, while you can use a .308 can on a 5.56, it will not suppress very well at all, sure it will quiet it down a good bit, but it won't be near as quiet as a dedicated 5.56 can.

The 9mm can will give you "hollywood" like suppression, and since you have a 9mm SBR/pistol your cost on the final build will be a bit less. Also, if you buy a modular 9mm can, it can be very versatile. I have an SWR Trident 9, argueably the BEST 9mm can on the market, I can run it on my 9mm SBR and my G17, and any other low pressure round under .35cal. (I am considering building a .300 whisper upper for an AR, and since this is a low pressure round I can use my Trident 9 to suppress it.

But with all that being said, the funnest suppressors are those for .22lr.

JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    I'm in NW IN and I have a Gemtech G5 on an 11.5" AR and an SRT Matrix9 on a 10.5" Colt upper. You're welcome to come have some fun if you want. I usually shoot at the Jasper Pulaski DNR range about an hour South of here.

I know a guy with an M4-96 for his ARs and he's got an UZI with the Gemtech Moussad suppressor- sounds like a sewing machine! He's in the Kokomo area.

Top Bottom