• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Which gun to purchase first? S&W M&P 15-22 or M&P Sport?

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Let me preface this by saying that I have always been much more into handguns than long guns. Handguns always seemed a bit simpler to me.

To provide some background regarding my handgun interests, I like Glocks, but have owned several other makes & models over the years (including revolvers, a 1911 or 2, etc), and can definitely appreciate a wide range.

Regarding long guns, I do already own a .308 Savage Heavy Barrel bolt gun with a decent Nikon optic. I also own a Remington Viper 522. I have never owned an AR, and have no real experience with them, but as of late, I seem to be coming down with a touch of the AR sickness.

I am interested in acquiring both the M&P 15-22 and the M&P Sport rifles. I think they would make a great set, and am very interested at this point in purchasing both. Each is within what I consider a reasonable budget for the gun purchase itself (realizing that there is much more to the cost than just the gun itself), but if I were to purchase 1, the other would likely be a year away to purchase (many other items competing for the cash, as I'm sure most here can relate to).

I am a member at MCF&G and so I would be able to give the 15-22 more shooting action from both a convenience and cost factor than the Sport, which I would need to take to Atterbury to shoot, since its a centerfire rifle caliber.

Both would be for plinking/target fun, but of course the Sport could serve other purposes if necessary.

So, I'm interested, given the above, and the eventual desire to own both, which would you purchase first? (Again, given that I intend on owning both at some point).

I'm not really interested in a conversion or changing the upper on an AR to shoot 22, but I will include that in the poll to see what those more educated than I on the topic have to say. I'm not really interested in breaking the bank on a single base rifle at this point either. I'm interested in getting involved with AR's with a very reliable, but somewhat inexpensive "entry level" gun.

Last edited:

Water63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    West Central IN
    I selected the buy an AR and get the 22 upper. I am new to the AR scene also. I built a lower so I could put whatever upper I decided on. My daughter has wanted the S&W M&P 15-22 since shooting a friends. I went with a dedicated 22 upper from CMMG. This did cost more than just buying the M&P 15-22 but I think it will be a better investment for me in the long run. The biggest thing for me was by building the lower I can change things that I don't like. Right now it looks like the trigger is going to be upgraded to a target trigger.

I have shot both of the guns you are looking at and both are pretty good guns. My friend has had a M&P 22 for a few years now and his son runs a lot of ammo through it and they have not had any problems. So I think no matter what way you go here you will come out with something you will like. I would go for the 22 first just because you will get more trigger time for your money. Just my :twocents:

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I say, buy a real AR, and Tapco out a Ruger 10/22 for plinking. you could be into a tapcoed 10/22 for about 250

Just curious, do you not consider the Sport a "real AR"? I know its missing a few things (forward assist/dust cover), but I'm not sure those are overly important items given my intended use.

I understand that the 15-22 is not, but its about as close as you can come in a dedicated 22.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    5.56 AR of your choice plus a drop-in conversion like the CMMG or Spike's is the way to go; I know, I've seen me do it! :)

That way, you only have to pay to set up ONE gun with options (grip, stock, trigger, sights, etc), and can still shoot either caliber as location and funds allow. Additionally, the conversion would be cheaper than the upper by about 2/3, leaving more $$ for accessories and ammo, and could be used in any future ARs you build or buy.

My :twocents:

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    Just curious, do you not consider the Sport a "real AR"? I know its missing a few things (forward assist/dust cover), but I'm not sure those are overly important items given my intended use.

I understand that the 15-22 is not, but its about as close as you can come in a dedicated 22.

Honestly, I don't know enough about the Sport to have an opinion, but im sure it would be fine...my comments were more geared toward the 15-22, I had wanted a ar22 for awhile myself, until the ruger 10/22 hit me like a ton of bricks...it just made more sense for me

Top Bottom