• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GM_Geezer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2009
    After my nephew has taken me out duck/goose hunting I am now hopelessly hooked. I need to purchase my own waders. I was hoping to spot an after christmas bargain. But what is a bargain?
    What do you use? What do you stay away from?
    I don't want to pay extra for a name nor do I want to pay little for something that won't last. I need them to be dry, warm, and durable.
    Thanks for your help.

illini40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    I have always been partial to Cabelas or Hodgman brands of chest waders. Cabelas has several pairs on sale right now.

I currently use these in Max 4:
    Cabela's: Cabela's 5mm Neostretch™ Chest Waders with Lug Soles - Regular

I like the versatility of 800 grams, especially for the Midwest because you will not roast on early warm days, but can layer appropriately for the colder days.

I think looking for double layer knees is a good sign. Also, I would make sure the waders have a front pocket. Other than that, just make sure they fit well and are comfy.

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    another recommendation for cabela's. i have had these for the past 4-5 years. Cabela's: Cabela's Big Man Ultimate™ Hunting Waders although i don't get out as much as i would like, these waders have seen their fair share of hard use, and are still going strong. i liked that the ultimates had big man sizing, even larger than stout, to fit my fat arse.

p.s. i agree, the abovementioned features are the most critical.

ryanbr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Logansport
    I use the Cabela Duramag 1600, never got cold in them. cold is a big did when waterfowl hunting. these are very tough durable waders, had mine for 6 years now, no leaks!

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    I've got a pair of reversible 5mm neo Red Head Bone Dry stocking foot waders. Shadow grass on one side and a realtree pattern on the other. Double thick knees and seat with a chest pocket on each side. I've been really happy with them. I've got some pictures dated 2002 where I have them on, so they've lasted at least that long.

daspurlock

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    I used LaCross for years one of the best pair of waders i've ever had. Last pair I bought came from MPW. They are only 3.5 mm and are not fleace lined but they do a real good job unless your standing in cold water for a long period of time. But the LaCross are still my favorite stout size, fleace lined, 1200 grams thinsulate in boots. You wont be sorry because you'll be warm.

GM_Geezer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2009
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Went to Cabala's for a test fit. The super mags were nice. Probably the best outer skin of the lot. But I think im going with the light mags. Just seem to fit better. The neostrech had a fantastic price but seemed rather tight across the chest and I don't know how much stretch there is to go. Well thanks again.

illini40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Went to Cabala's for a test fit. The super mags were nice. Probably the best outer skin of the lot. But I think im going with the light mags. Just seem to fit better. The neostrech had a fantastic price but seemed rather tight across the chest and I don't know how much stretch there is to go. Well thanks again.

Congrats on the new waders. Keep us posted on your waterfowl hunts!

Top Bottom