White River Kayak Fishing Indy Northside - Good Stretches of River?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PappyD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 24, 2008
    Westfield
    Any suggestions for a section to fish?

We've tried sections from just south of the low head dam near Clare all the way down to the Keystone at the Crossing area. Trying to plan a shorter trip - 4-5 hours with more fishing/less paddling.

For example- put in at the DNR ramp in downtown Noblesville and then pull out at 146th or 116th.
    Trying to keep this local- so it can be an afternoon outing, etc.

Warm weather is right around the corner! Pappy

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Head up to the Strawtown roundabout and head east to the Lafayette Trace Park. There's a ramp there you can put in and fish down to the low head or up towards Perkinsville. I've heard there is good smallmouth fishing on that stretch between Clare and Perkinsville but haven't had a chance to put my kayak in the water yet.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Head up to the Strawtown roundabout and head east to the Lafayette Trace Park. There's a ramp there you can put in and fish down to the low head or up towards Perkinsville. I've heard there is good smallmouth fishing on that stretch between Clare and Perkinsville but haven't had a chance to put my kayak in the water yet.

This little stretch is more enjoyable than I would have initially thought.

PappyD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 24, 2008
    Westfield
    Thanks - I may have to check that out. We have camped at White River Campground and fished up and down but not as far down to the low head dam. Been through that spot but it was with a family group and we mostly paddled. I like the deeper waters just north of the low head as they looked like there would be some pockets of water holding some bigger smallies.

Thanks all! Pappy

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    Thanks - I may have to check that out. We have camped at White River Campground and fished up and down but not as far down to the low head dam. Been through that spot but it was with a family group and we mostly paddled. I like the deeper waters just north of the low head as they looked like there would be some pockets of water holding some bigger smallies.

Thanks all! Pappy
    I know you asked about the White River but might I suggest Fall Creek?

With everyone and their brother now having jet drive boats the White River gets a LOT more pressure than it used to.

Fall Creek has some quality 4lb+ smallies in it and gets WAY LESS pressure. It is also a good wading stream if you don't feel like shuttling boats. Will probably be hitting it this weekend weather permitting.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I know you asked about the White River but might I suggest Fall Creek?

With everyone and their brother now having jet drive boats the White River gets a LOT more pressure than it used to.

Fall Creek has some quality 4lb+ smallies in it and gets WAY LESS pressure. It is also a good wading stream if you don't feel like shuttling boats. Will probably be hitting it this weekend weather permitting.
    We used to kayak Fall Creek from Ingalls down to Florida Rd and from 86th St down to 56th St but never did any fishing. Plenty of good looking water in those two stretches though.

Stubbleducker

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 19, 2009
    Indy
    we regularly kayak from potter's bridge down to 116th or Oliver's Woods (may even go tomorrow for the first time this spring) but rarely wet a line so far.

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site
    Indy area

Little Eagle creek
    White river
    Fall Creek

Is some of the best bass fishing one could have. Bass fishing from a kayak is a learning curve with hook sets and angles and can be very dangerous with certain areas and the ever present homeless scanning you can be a little tense, but is very rewarding and hitting spots most can’t is bad ass!
    Last year was extremely dry and had to do a lot of walking but the deep spots provided plenty of action. Some spots can be 5 inches and other spots we hit can be over 7ft + Little Eagle can be wild, sometimes they will release water from the dam that will raise the water levels in real time, current gathers and is a little neat if your on it. I would NOT recommend flat or inflated kayaks when this water is active.

This time of year bright green and red rattletraps are tearing it up, Warm east end lakes are getting busy. We have approx 23+ lbs already on the books.

Will I tell ya the drop and pick up points?

Can’t, we don’t want company! hehehe

Last edited:

SmolderOutdoors

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Westfield
    we regularly kayak from potter's bridge down to 116th or Oliver's Woods (may even go tomorrow for the first time this spring) but rarely wet a line so far.
    Driving through that area this afternoon. I’ll try to take a peak at the river for you- Thursday night it was high, flowing fast, and pure brown (no way to see obstacles) with all the rain we got. Hopefully it has calmed down.

Stubbleducker

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 19, 2009
    Indy
    Driving through that area this afternoon. I’ll try to take a peak at the river for you- Thursday night it was high, flowing fast, and pure brown (no way to see obstacles) with all the rain we got. Hopefully it has calmed down.

It's down quite a bit today, much different than earlier in the week. not quite normal but getting close, though it may not last with the forecast.
    (I live not far from the 116th landing)

SmolderOutdoors

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Westfield
    It's down quite a bit today, much different than earlier in the week. not quite normal but getting close, though it may not last with the forecast.
    (I live not far from the 116th landing)
    Ah yup! I did drive past but failed to update. Water was still up but not rushing or as high anymore. A truck was backed in at the forest park ramp pulling a yak out. Water still solid brown for now but didn’t look nearly as unsafe as a few days ago.

PappyD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 24, 2008
    Westfield
    Thanks for all the great suggestions! My son and i both agreed that we need to slow down and fish shorter stretches. Seems like we end up on a "paddle-thon" instead of fishing likely stretches.

Top Bottom