• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • .356luger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    martinsville
    I didnt know they existed in the white river until yesterday around noon. During the second leg of a canoe trip my boat partner landed a 22" 4lb walleye on a bass jig tipped with a red claw craw dad. Hell of a fish for anywhere in my book especially in indiana.

1333901648.jpg

Last edited:

.356luger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    martinsville
    I bet it came form your hometown. All the Walleye fry used by the Indiana DNR for stocking are hatched at the DNR facility on 44

I lived next to that fisheries for years didn't realize they let the fingerlings go in white river though. I was more surprised at the bass jig it hit. I guess with fishing presentation is everything still first for a walleye on that style jig..

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Great fish, i bet its a Sauger if you caught it in the White.

This^^^^

The DNR even stocked sauger after the fish kill. I'm unaware of walleye in the white. Hard to tell from the picture, but it looks to be marked like a sauger.

Sounds like a nice day on the water.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    Your fish is a Sauger which is the smaller cousin of the Walleye. Saugers can be easily confused with a Walleye and vise verse. Saugers have more black coloring in their body than a Walleye and the tail has a more defined V-shape to it than a Walleye. Saugers are very common in larger river systems like the White River and the Ohio River.

WalleyeSauger.jpg

Dukshead

Marksman
    Rating - 90.5%
    19   2   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Southport
    I was getting ready to say great Sauger when Bradsknives beat me to the explanation. Haven't caught too many here but we catch them in cold weather on the TN river down in east TN every year. Nice fish!!

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I don't know if they make them in Indiana yet, but in Ohio saugeye are quite common...

images

sauger/walleye hybrid. Much more aggressive and easy to catch than walleye and taste just as good.

odie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Nice fish I caught a couple at starvehollow about 15 or so years ago. It was me and another guy we didnt even know what they were until a warden at the lake told us.

Top Bottom