Who Lusted for a Hawkin Rifle - Perhaps The Movie Jeremiah Johnson Started It?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    Saw the movie at the theater as a kid.
    Have a TC Hawken, it's a "Silver Elite" model (stainless steel, no patch box).
    Have had a couple of Renegades.
    I ALWAYS use the set trigger on my double trigger rigs. Even hunting. Don't see the problem, but I am used to light stuff.
    Stock fit of my Hawken sucks, really cracks my cheek.
    I should make a spacer for the rear sight and go with a taller front.
    My Renegades were comfy shooters, as was my new Englander. Hawken? Kicks me like a freakin' mule........and probably why I now need a crown.

Crap deer and the Hawken SE

SWNkNnf.jpg

Best deer, also taken with the SE

XvUpkyM.jpg

:):.....still ate an' fix'd up same, tho did'n it dude?.....:):

At'a da*n fine 1 down below, too.......got nice 8 with this'n......85 paces.....I hit'im lil' high'rn I want'd.....double lung shot.....went thru right shoulder,both lungs, broke the left shoulder......he went 'bout 60 ta 70 paces from where hit......

Yeah on'a set trigger.......once mine set, seems like puff a wind'll set the 1st 1 off......jus' touch 'at sumb****......an' it GONE....:):

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    SE has two decent bucks, the scrub, a doe and a coyote....5 for 5.
    Didn't take it out last yr.
    I might shoot a doe with my Python, if I get it on camera.
    Used to shoto MZ all the time with a bud when younger............too cranky for the hassle factor anymore.

A guy at work has a TC Cougar. He keeps wanting to trade me.
    Might have something he wants.

Don't want my SE to be the only MZ in the safe. Of course I need two I won't shoot ;)

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    I admit that that movie did get me interested in Black Powder and before it was over I had several different rifles and calibers. Most are gone now but I still have 1 pistol left that never gets shot anymore but makes a good display piece in my museum room.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    I admit that that movie did get me interested in Black Powder and before it was over I had several different rifles and calibers. Most are gone now but I still have 1 pistol left that never gets shot anymore but makes a good display piece in my museum room.

I sold my old Colt Army (Lyman) for the same reason, but I'm really considering getting the old Hawkin built from a kit way back in the day out and taking it into the field again this fall. Maybe I'm just getting older, but I remember the magic it used to bring to the hunt...almost like I could feel old Johnston in the woods with me.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Bought my TC Hawken in 1984, the first brand new gun I ever bought. Some guys I knew would go to monthly muzzle loader shoots at a range in Portland and I started going with them. I burned a lot of powder that summer, then killed a deer in Jackson County that winter with that gun. I tanned the hide from that deer and made a possibles bag and some other stuff with it. Couldn't say how many miles I've walked in the woods with it or how many hours I've stood or sat watching a trail. Iron sights and a patched round ball is all I've ever hunted with.

It's still my go-to deer hunting gun and I plan to use it this winter.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    Bought my TC Hawken in 1984, the first brand new gun I ever bought. Some guys I knew would go to monthly muzzle loader shoots at a range in Portland and I started going with them. I burned a lot of powder that summer, then killed a deer in Jackson County that winter with that gun. I tanned the hide from that deer and made a possibles bag and some other stuff with it. Couldn't say how many miles I've walked in the woods with it or how many hours I've stood or sat watching a trail. Iron sights and a patched round ball is all I've ever hunted with.

It's still my go-to deer hunting gun and I plan to use it this winter.

That's awesome brother. The sprit of Jim Bridger, John Colter, and the Liver Eater are somewhere nearby I'm sure.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    IMG_6574.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

Picked up a horn in Friendship and made me a powder horn way back when. When I was drilling out the spout end, I went to far and came out the side, so I took a piece of brass and added an inlay to cover it up.

Streck-Fu

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Noblesville
    I have a TC Hawken that I bought here on INGO. It included a full shooters kit and supplies to include the user's manual and receipt. It was bought in 1976 or 78....I think.

I really enjoy shooting it and plan to take it out during BP season. Now that TC stopped selling them, I probably won't get rid of them. Maybe my sons will enjoy them.

I may hang my 1851 Navy revolver next to it on the wall.

Top Bottom