• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    With all the aftermarket support for rugers and the number of companies building clone recievers, I am wondering why noone builds a clone magnum recievers? It seems to me like it would demand a premium price (and according profit) to manufacture an aftermarket magnum clone reciever.

Was it a design issue? Too much pressure? Coming out of battery to soon before the pressure had subsided enough. If its a timing/pressure issue, what could be done to correct that? Tungsten bolt? Heavier hammer spring? Perhaps a delayed unlocking mechanism similar to an 1100?

Discuss.

booey50

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    nw indiana
    this write up is just my opinion, but here goes. It's not that the 10/22 magnum is not a bad option, but the cartridge itself that is the problem, again my opinion. The magnum is faster shoots flatter and all around better cartridge. But it is way more expensive than .22lr. What you use the .22 for (small game) there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of difference to me, when I can buy a 500 brick for 20.00 and you can only buy 50 rds of the magnum for 8-10 dollars. Economically doesn't make sense to me to only shoot 50 more yards.
    Solid Point : Ammunition To Go

savage308

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 15, 2012
    Ft. Wayne
    I think it is just the market itself. The mag is not a popular round and therefore there is not much demand for the product. Of all the people I know that have guns only one of them has a 22 mag. I also think that it is a minimal use round. What can you do with it that you can not do with a 22? It is not that benefical to have a 22 mag vs a 22lr. Just my thoughts.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Then why do the .22 magnums demand such a premium? I see them sell on gunbroker for the upper 300's sometimes. saw a stainless version sell for over 400

Simon6101

Master
    Rating - 100%
    154   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Sw Indy(Camby)
    Stopped production

Ruger went through a couple of design changes and just could not get the firearm to function properly. They had a single and dual extractor model. They had issues with the bolts breaking at one point.
    If you look around there is not major manufacturer producing an assembly line semi auto 22 magnum rifle. No one has been able to get right while trying to mass produce them.
    I had one for a while and it was a great shooting firearm but when weighing the pros and cons (Cons being that if it breaks it is an exspensive wall hanger) I elected to sell it and move on. This was a very hard decision for me because I AM a Ruger Fan when it comes to their Rimfire products.:twocents:

Last edited:

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I've wondered about this topic too. I also was curious as to why Ruger gave up on their supersizing of the Mini 14 to 308 dimensions but that's another topic. The 22 Magnum is a good round for hunting and with the modern loadings available it is also not bad for target shooting at longer ranges. Since the 17HMR has become so popular I think that the 22 mag has had a minor resurgence. With the 10/22 being so popular and having so many aftermaket parts available for it I would think Ruger would reintroduce the 22 Mag to tap into the faithful 10/22 followers and maybe get some of the 17HMR crowd interested too. Since the 17 is a necked down 22 mag case, ballistics are similar at some distances and ammo cost about the same it seems as if it might be worth considering. But it's JMHO... :dunno:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    H&K 300 is the one I want :)

If you hunt groundhogs a lot you'll understand the need/joy of a .22 mag.

At 75 yards they're more fun than using a centerfire varmint rig.

I used to take two rifles with me, my 9422M and my #1 B .243. I'd set up on the field with the #1 and when nothing was out, sneak along the creek behind the field with the Winchester. Great combo.

Gunaria

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Warrick Co.
    Excel arms I believe is making 22mag pistols & rifles. Not a major manufacture but stil one nontheless. I see the 10/22 mags fetching over $500 on gunbroker.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Just wondering. Daydreaming about purchasing a nice HAAS verticle machining center, then finding profitable things to make on it. Only daydreams though and when pondering on this i started to wonder why they are no longer made and demand such a premium.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Just wondering. Daydreaming about purchasing a nice HAAS verticle machining center, then finding profitable things to make on it. Only daydreams though and when pondering on this i started to wonder why they are no longer made and demand such a premium.

Make a few 22 Colt Diamondbacks, Pythons and Match Targets while yer at it. ;)

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Make a few 22 Colt Diamondbacks, Pythons and Match Targets while yer at it. ;)

If it ever were to happen there is no way in hell i would make full guns. Just parts. Too much liability and insurance w/ full guns. At least w/ a reciever one would have a reasonable chance in court if something bad were to happen.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    If it ever were to happen there is no way in hell i would make full guns. Just parts. Too much liability and insurance w/ full guns. At least w/ a reciever one would have a reasonable chance in court if something bad were to happen.

I guess I shoulda used purple. ;) I'll be calling you about a couple projects I need help with once I get caught up.

top hat 45

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 4, 2008
    northern shelby co.
    simon nailed it. too many issues with the bolts not lasting. ruger even stopped producing them and tried to reintroduce it after attempting to reengineer the rifle. that failed too evidently because they never did reintroduce them.

i did some research on the 10/22 mag because i have a tacsol 17 hmr barrel for one.

Turn Key

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Magnum Research makes a 10/22 magnum clone. My local gun shop had one last week. A real beauty with carbon fiber barrel and a wonderful stock. Very lightweight.

^^This is a very good alternative for the Magnum in .22 I have their standard 10/22 version and it has been an excellent rifle.

And as others have stated, the 17 HMR has taken the "Magnum .22" market.

TK

traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville
    I think it is just the market itself. The mag is not a popular round and therefore there is not much demand for the product. Of all the people I know that have guns only one of them has a 22 mag. I also think that it is a minimal use round. What can you do with it that you can not do with a 22? It is not that benefical to have a 22 mag vs a 22lr. Just my thoughts.

I am not being disagreeable,but out here in the country the .22 mag is well loved!Probably 7 out of 10 of my friends have them.In fact if I could only have one rifle in Indiana,or anywhere in the midwest it would probably be a .22 magnum....

Hoosierbuck

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    I love the .22 mag. My current is a plain vanilla Savage bolt with accutrigger. Sa-weet! Great on chucks and other similarly sized critters (possums, coons, etc.) I even like the thwap on rabbits in the garden. I can see the problems with the upgrade being hard on parts in the 10/22 platform, though. That concept is why I have always had break/bolt maggies.
    HB

Top Bottom