• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington
    Have you ever tried a 3D printed jig to finish an 80%? I wonder how accurate they are. I also wonder how accurate the milling and drilling operations need to be in order for the lower to function properly. I believe that even if I screw it up a little, I can probably fix it, even if it will look like a Mad Max gun.
    My first 80% lower I did entirely on an old drill press I borrowed from my BIL with a 3D printer jig and a set of Dewalt drill bits. Not end mills, just regular old drill bits. With my setup, the 3D printed jig was far from the weakest link. If your printer is set up right, a 3D printed jig can be very accurate, just don't expect to get more than one use out of it.

Anyways, accuracy can be surprisingly low and you can still end up with a working lower. My first 80% build taught me that, if nothing else. Fun times. :)

BRHiker

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2023
    Anderson
    I haven't done one yet, but I plan to. As Andreus said, make sure your printer is set up well and calibrated for accuracy.

Could also just print a lower; works better than one would expect.

gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    I think I found a simple one at Gun Builders Depot for $105. Very simple aluminum jig. They want $200 if I get the 3 endmills and 2 drill bits with it. $95 for 3 HSS endmills and 2 twist drill bits? I don't know where some of these people get off on charging ridiculous prices for crappy tools like that. I have a desktop mill at home, so I buy endmills and drill bits from time to time. 3 carbide endmills & 2 drill bits don't cost that much.
    Years back when vision armory was still in business, i have their jigs and did 5 lowers. I used a regular drill press and bought the harbor freight set of end mills. They worked just fine. Still have them too in the nice lil wooden box. Got the jig still also.

sapper83

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 26, 2024
    Valparaiso
    I have (I mean had, lost it in a boating accident) easy Gen Jig 3. Anyone is welcome to (cough cough) come talk and reminisce about it over a beer! Wink wink!

Top Bottom