• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nicajack

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 21, 2011
    Miami County
    I have often wondered why octagon barrels were seldom used on handguns. I love the looks of them on rifles and have quite a few. They are still fairly often used on various commemoratives, special editions and just any rifle that the maker decided to give an "old or Classic " appearance to. The same could be done to revolvers but nobody does it. There are a very few custom makers who use them, but their guns are pretty much out of reach of the average shooter. I wonder why Ruger doesn't put some on their single actions. Smith could even do it.
    I would like to see some on the market, but is that asking too much? :popcorn:

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Check out the early T/C Contender pistol barrels. They made everything from 5mm Remington to 45 Colt in 10" octagon. They are very "spirited" in anything over 357 Mag.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Octagon barrels are heavy compared to round barrels.

To create a octagon barrel using modern manufacturing methods make them far more expensive than round barrels.

The old firearms used octagon barrels because that is what they had to work with.

Walt_Jabsco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Octagon barrels are heavy compared to round barrels.

To create a octagon barrel using modern manufacturing methods make them far more expensive than round barrels.

The old firearms used octagon barrels because that is what they had to work with.

I was thinking the same thing, yeah. I think more specifically, with older 19th century casting techniques and metallurgy quality, it was a safe, cost effective way to make a barrel that wouldn't explode.

Top Bottom