• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • speedywillie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2013
    Fishers, IN
    There seems to be a lot of folks that don't like the fact that S&W put a lock on this gun? What am I missing? If I wanted the latest version of 686- pre lock, what would it be? And why the problem with the lock?

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    If the lock fails your gun is screwed when/if you need it. It also has a lot to do with S&W's recent past. They put locks on the guns to appease the Clintons and the company paid dearly for it. About put them out of business.

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    If the lock fails your gun is screwed when/if you need it. It also has a lot to do with S&W's recent past. They put locks on the guns to appease the Clintons and the company paid dearly for it. About put them out of business.

It did put them out of business. An investment group now owns S&W, bought them in bankruptcy court.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    1) this is posted in the long gun section

2) if the lock bothers people they can always remove it and add the plug
    The "Plug" for a S&W J-Frame

Yup, but it'll still have the little lasered arrow/L.

Unacceptable.

Esp when there are non lawyer locked guns available.

Why you can get new guns without locks :) (have seen 442's, but quick check shows 340's and maybe others advertised as "no lock")

Wysko

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 31, 2012
    Indy, West Side.
    I dont care for the look of the lock. Dont have a need for the lock. See it as a symbolic liberal blemish on an otherwise fine S&W revolver. Other than that, a super revolver.

The "lock" is a very, very dead horse on the Smith & Wesson forum.

speedywillie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2013
    Fishers, IN
    I'm sorry folks - I accidentally posted this in the wrong section. I meant to post in the 'handgun' section. Do I report this somehow and get it switched or does somebody check these sort of things and change on their own ... or just let it be?

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    I dont care for the look of the lock. Dont have a need for the lock. See it as a symbolic liberal blemish on an otherwise fine S&W revolver. Other than that, a super revolver.

The "lock" is a very, very dead horse on the Smith & Wesson forum.

Some people even go the permanent disable route and superglue the lock mechanism so they can be certain the weapon doesn't become locked at a critical time.

It just adds extra expense and complexity to the firearm anyway. I try to avoid buying firearms with integrated locks.

NealWright

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    East Central Indiana
    For me ... it's the defining symbol of a non-classic revolver. It's not ugly, I don't think they've ever failed ... honestly, I don't think anyone has ever turned the lock "on".

It kind of like P&R Smith's bringing a premium, then people want non-MIM Smith's, then non-IL Smith's. Function wise is fine on all of them, but the older one's are more "classic". Neal

Top Bottom