• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • amorrisfarm

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    My wife has never been around guns and I would like to get her trained to carry a pistol. Any suggestions on a good class for he to take?

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    Check out the Tactics and Training forum, or the Support our Advertisers forum. We have several training companies that visit this site regularly, and most offer classes that are targeted directly at women. You might start her with just a NRA Basic Pistol course, which goes over the different types of pistols, their parts, and basic skills on safety, handling and shooting.

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    By the way, if she wants just an informal introduction with someone other than her husband, just holler. Depending on your location, there are several people around here that would step up and take her to the range to try out different firearms and give her the basics before she steps up to a class. :)

Better still, get her signed up on INGO and let her ask her own questions. :D

amorrisfarm

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Thanks I'll keep that in mind once the weather gets a little better. And yes I believe that she would do much better if she was not learning from her husband!

GunSlinger77

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Thanks I'll keep that in mind once the weather gets a little better. And yes I believe that she would do much better if she was not learning from her husband!

Amen to that!! Trust me, you could give similar advise but if anything gets misinterpreted you are in for a rough night!! Been there and done that and I burned the t-shirt! :):

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    Amen to that!! Trust me, you could give similar advise but if anything gets misinterpreted you are in for a rough night!! Been there and done that and I burned the t-shirt! :):

I think it has to do with frequency of speech. Coming from the husband it sounds like great advice on shooting technique. The reception on the wifes side sounds more like the teacher from Charlie Brown!!:p

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    when i met my beautiful wife she had never fired a gun. I trained her how to be safe and proficient, as well as comfortable carrying and firing a gun.

We went to a range in indianapolis (i wont name any names) where several off duty police officers and friends were shooting their pistols. they made comments to my wife in a demeaning way and a challenge was eventually thrown down. she out shot 2 of 3 of the cops, and when they asked how long she had been shooting she politely answered.... a year. WAHAHAHAHA!!! oh man i was the proudest husband in the world!! and still am.

GunSlinger77

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    when i met my beautiful wife she had never fired a gun. I trained her how to be safe and proficient, as well as comfortable carrying and firing a gun.

We went to a range in indianapolis (i wont name any names) where several off duty police officers and friends were shooting their pistols. they made comments to my wife in a demeaning way and a challenge was eventually thrown down. she out shot 2 of 3 of the cops, and when they asked how long she had been shooting she politely answered.... a year. WAHAHAHAHA!!! oh man i was the proudest husband in the world!! and still am.

What a great story! I love the ones where girls win against the mean, egotistical guys in the end!!! :rockwoot:

Zimm1001

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    My fiance shot her first handgun last Friday. I had already taught her how to fire a rifle and shotgun during outings with my kids (we shoot a lot). She wanted to learn how to fire a handgun. We went to the range. I started her on a .22 single six, then moved to a .22 Ruger Mark I then to a Bersa .380 (probably what she will eventually carry). She was initially worried about the kick but I shot each gun before she did and starting with the .22 and then moving up. She did GREAT!
    She wouldnt shoot the 9mm but that was for me anyway.
    FYI: Once she became comfortable with the .380 she was consistently hitting center mass at 10 yds. What a gal! lol

Top Bottom