• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • modelflyer2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Eastern Indiana
    I took my wife to the indoor range today so she could shoot my guns. She has never shot a gun, or been to the range with me when I shot them. She was nervous. She grew up with her father pointing his pistol at her all the time (one of her earliest memories), pulling the trigger, loading it up, shooting the ceiling, threatening her mother, telling them he was going to go the woods and shoot himself, walking out to the woods, fire a single shot and staying gone for an hour…. Nice guy. Anyway, it was a big coup that she was even there. I showed her my revolver, and we spoke about safety. She held the unloaded gun to get used to the trigger pull. She was ok with it. I set the target up, we put our ear and eye protection on, I fired the first shot and she said, “I can’t do this. I’m sorry.” I told her it was OK. She watched me shoot my Taurus 605, Beretta 92FS Compact, and my Glock 26. We had good time. She was worried I would think less of her, but I don’t. Baby steps. Perhaps next time. She must have brought me good luck, because I shot the Glock better than I ever have. I told her that there are many gun owners that would love to have taken that gun away from him and shoved it up….well, you know. When we first got married, I couldn’t clean the Beretta in front of her, because it brought back way too many memories. Now I can clean them and she is not threatened by them. She puts my clean socks in the drawer where one of the guns is kept without flinching. She’ll get there.

Fergy35

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NE Corner of our gre
    Man, what a piece of s**t! Anyone who treats another person, especially a kid, that way should be strung up. Makes my skin crawl just thinking of it.

Good on you for taking your time and not trying to push her. "Baby Steps" is the only way. Good for her too. She must be strong, to have gone through that and still be able get to a point where she will at least handle a gun and to be present while you were shooting.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Good for you for taking it slow and understanding. My wife-to-be got her first introduction to guns with my grandfather's single shot marlin .22 last summer and has gradually become more comfortable with me carrying and having loaded weapons in the house. I have a Stevens 120 single shot .22 waiting for her when she's ready to take ownership and shoot on her own. I'm waiting for the day when she decides it's time to put a .38 in that big ol bag she drags around.

Greenmonsta79

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Clay County, IN
    He sounded like he was a pretty tough guy! (sarcasm) Sounds like he was too big for his britches needed to get the shieet beat out of him! POINTING YOUR GUN AT YOUR CHILD AND WIFE!!!! must have been off his rocker! anyway sounds like your wife really wants to go shooting at least she went but man that has to be traumatic for her and sounds like she stepped in the right direction to put that in the past. slow and steady wins the race! :)

gilliu

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2010
    Thanks for sharing -- my wife is very gun-shy as well, but I hope to have her shoot with me one day. I am really sorry to hear about her father. She sounds like she's really good to you, going to an environment that is probably extremely stressful to her

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    That sounds like an *excellent* trip considering her background. My MIL grew up in a similar situation (although her dad never threatened to go out into the woods, afaik), so she was nervous enough about Lars and I having guns in the house, especially once the baby came. Hopefully your wife will continue to overcome her fears!! When she's up for it, you should sign her up for a training or two!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2009
    In a fog
    It sounds like you had a good first trip to the range. Congratulations to you both. She is making a great effort to share your love of guns, and it's great to hear you have the patience to work with her. It will be a long haul, but worth it in the end.
    You might think about going to an outdoor range next time, when the weather warms up. Women, in general, have a greater sensitivity to certain sounds, and an indoor range intensifies the sound of a gunshot, even with ear protection. It might help her relax a little if the sounds are not as intense.
    I understand that is not the main issue, but every little bit of help in a positive direction can't hurt. Best of luck to you both! :)

Last edited:

Bisley Man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Whitestown
    Glad things are better for her, now that she has a MAN in her life instead of a nutjob male parent(not worthy of the title Father or Dad). Vermin like that makes one want to look UP to excrement, which at least has the decency to stink bad so people will leave it alone.

slimplmbr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Greenfield
    Man he was a really tough guy, congratulations to her for not letting that keep her down and congratulations to you for helping her through that. Thats what its all about after living like that, been there, done that, not fun, just keep taking the baby steps. It sounds like one day in the not so distant future she will be "puttin holes in paper" with you. :yesway:

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Agree re, the jerk.

Good patience on your part.

Couple of thoughts:
    Anywhere you could go shooting out doors? It is a lot less noisy. Overall probably less freaky for a new shooter.
    Do you have any .22's she could shoot first? Also, less intimidating and a lot easier to get a satisfactory result.

Firs time she shoots a nice group, she will be cured. ;)

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    buddy of mines step-dad did the same s%$t.....we where on the couch 1 night watchin' tv and he came through the front door and fired a 357 over his mom's head.....when the sheriff's got there they slapped him around a bit.....he was a pill popper and drunk.....stick with her she'll come around....

Top Bottom