• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • plowman766

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 18, 2010
    Huntington
    HI first time poster here it looks like a great site. I am looking at a winchester 250 lever action 22 and wondered if anyone else has one and what they think of them? thanks

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    It was kinda Winchester's answer to the Marlin Lever-matic. An inexpensive lever gun for the masses. These are not near the quality of the 9422s but aren't bad guns for plinking. Parts are plentiful should it develop a problem. Worth about $200 in average condition.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    There were two maybe even 3 versions of the 250. The model 150 is the straight stock version and the 250m is the 22 mag version. I have heard of a plastic stocked later 1970 version but have yet to see one.

The standard was produced i think from 1962-1973 . the deluxe was 1963-1971.

The deluxe had the monte carlo stock and better quality wood. Can go wrong with looking at one. You are talking about a 40 year old gun with the name winchester on it.

I do not have one but they did sell well. I think it was produced about the same time as the model 88 as a kind of hammerless 22 like the model 88. A junior version of the bigger rifle.

They have a weird system for takedown. some never got cleaned others have never been completely cleaned. Thus the extractors gummed up with bullet lube and don't want to eject shells. Good to attempt to feed it shells if you can. If it does not extract them then you can normally get it for half price and tear it down for a good cleaning and all will be well in the world after that.

Accuracy on the 255 and 250m .22 mags were very good. Better than one would expect from a lever action rifle. I have only shot the 22's for plinking fun not real groups.

plowman766

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 18, 2010
    Huntington
    thanks

Thanks for the replys it is the deluxe version and it fires and extracts as fast as I can run the lever I bought it this evening for $200 it seems like a good one and I like lever action guns so im happy:)

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    I had the 250m and loved it. I did end up trading it ...because I didn't have the money to shoot 22 mags all the time.

Top Bottom