• Win52C

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Lawrence County
    Since you asked Squid556

Simply put, the earlier rifles are now called “ slow” lock and have a knurled knob at the back of the bolt (like a 1903 Springfield), the design was improved, sear release sped up and the knurled knob eliminated around 1929 when the speed lock was introduced. The theory was less time between trigger actuation and actual firing means less chance for the shooter to move off point of aim. It seems to have worked since they became the premier smallbore target rifle for almost 50 years.

Slow lock
    IMG_1578.jpeg

Speed lock

IMG_1579.jpeg

As far as what sets them apart, they were the most innovative rifle of their time. Totally new design for the initial rifle which evolved from a military style shooter for the returning doughboys when introduced in 1919, to a full blown dedicated benchrest heavy target rifle by the 30’s and for sure with the introduction of the B model with “Marksman” stock in the 40’s. They dominated that scene through the 60’s and into the 70’s. They really didn’t have a lot of real competition early on. Possibly Martini Henry action single shot rimfires or Remington rolling block targets in the 20’s ? Remington introduced the model 37 in 1937. Who would have thought! And improved it in 1940 to a much better rifle dedicated for target shooting. By the 60’s Anschutz came on to the scene and did very well. Especially the heavy 54 actions. All in all they stood the test of time from 1919 until production ceased in the mid 1970’s with the “E” designation rifles.

wisboy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2024
    Crown Point 46307
    Thank you sir.

My statement was comparing the 52 reproductions to the original target versions. More or less. Back then a solid original target was around 600 give or take. And the repro sporters were around the same mark or slightly less. Original sporters were more like 12-1500 back then. And way up there now, 4K plus typically. Sorry for the confusion.
    Well that makes sense. I had a couple 52 sporters ......I played around with them for quite a while, sold 'em in the bye n bye . Had 6-7 Mirokus played around with them a bit. Have one left now. Have a few custom 52's.

It is all great fun.

Rudyjr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2024
    Centrsl Ohio
    This seems to be the most active current thread I can find anywhere on the Model 52. I am a new member to this forum from Central Ohio.

We stumbled upon a model 52 that I didn’t even know that I had. It appears to be a 1925 as near as I can tell the serial number is in the low 41** range. Overall the shape is pretty good with no signs of the receiver crack. It has OHIO STATE UNIV stamped on the underside of the fore end of the stock. I was thinking that this may have been an ROTC training gun or something. I believe I received this with some other guns I inherited from my uncle. I can post some pictures here if anybody can give me any info on it. Thank you

Top Bottom